Wednesday 11 November 2020

back on dry land

I mentioned a pied oyster catcher in the last blog post.  They are on my mind.  One day last week there was a shrill commotion going on outside and I was intrigued to see a pair of oyster catchers in our back garden and then on our front wall.  This is most unusual behaviour.  Some campers next door explained that the two chicks were on their side of the fence and the parents were trying to get them to my side of the fence.  I have learned that it is best not to interfere in such matters and let them be.

Later in the week I saw the re-united family running down the road but one chick was limping badly and trying desperately to keep up.  On Sunday Mel phoned to say that the injured chick had apparently been abandoned and could I help her keep it off the road.  Which we did, while Mel phoned Eric the shorebird expert to see what we should do.  He said to take it to Bonorong Wildlife Centre.  First we had to capture the terrified little chap.  Eventually we got it and off it went to Bonorong for a consult.

The next day the news was not good:  the foot was infected and the bird was euthanised.  Then on Monday, Mel phoned to say that the other chick had been run over outside the school and would I help bury it.  So off we went again.  Neither of us is good at dealing with dead animals but we did our best.  Pied oyster catchers mate for life and it is earlyish in the season so we are hoping that perhaps they will lay more eggs.  It is all very fraught!!

This is a better story.  I escaped to France for a while.  The book relates escapades from the 1970s, doing what I had hoped to be doing back then - though not with twins in tow.

Thursday I caught the bus into town again.  I do enjoy the ride - $10.40c each way - and so relaxing.  I looked around the shops this time and, curiously, had to take a photo of this underwear.  It so reminded me of the '70s summer of Maglia terry towelling bikinis - mine yellow, Lady Jayne's olive green and Pearl's sky blue.  There was a rack of blue ones but I thought I had drawn enough attention to myself by then.

Yesterday was Remembrance Day and I contemplated the poppies in my garden.

Her Majesty and I went to the service at our local RSL.  Here you can see some Triabunna school kids singing.  These are the little darlings we prepare lunch for each Monday.

Talking of lunch, it was also Mrs O Henry's birthday so after the service we went to the East Coaster for lunch.  I had the mussels - the dish Mum and I have shared in St Davids and Spain.  Good memories.

Jill PD and I took some garden poppies to the (horribly named) Wall of War on the way to close the Gatehouse.

Then I thought better of it and placed them on the adjacent sculpture.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the French book. I generally don't like such stories but it was written with such affection and made me want to live there!!!! Oh that Wall of W should be renamed. I loved your poppies (so Flanders) and also the tribute on the sculpture. And I had to laugh at the underwear photo - and yes, I too had terry towelling bikinis in bright oranges, reds and purples. Thanks for the memory jog. FF

    ReplyDelete