Sunday 5 June 2022

The Winter Garden

 
Long shadows in the morning

but very beautiful up close.  The yellow of the apricot leaves is one of my favourite colours.  Gardening Australia told me to prune apricot trees some weeks ago but I need to see those leaves!

I still have a cuppla figs ripening.  I wait for them to fall.  Even then they're not fully ripe, though the last bite, at the base, is delicious.

Tackled the last of the tomatoes today.  Now wondering what to do with the self-sown garlic.  Risk transplanting it?

This year 5 pumpkins emanated from the compost bin.  Haven't cut into any of them yet.

Kelly of the FoTR* gang visited while I was gardening.  He has eagle eyes for birds and keen ears for birdsong.  He was very excited that this bird (silver eye?) perched and watched us.  I also love this aspect of gardening but do not have the skill for identification, nor the memory, apparently!

The Kelly Bean was bringing me another book by Inga Glendinnen.  I am currently reading the one above.  She was such a talented writer and researcher.  Somehow, reading her is like participating in a wonderful tutorial.

I heard this chap as I was curled up reading in the sunny lounge window the other day.  There are lots of galahs around (!) but I have never seen them in this tree before.  The photo doesn't capture it (possibly muted by being taken through the flyscreen and window), but the pink of the bird was stunning against the gold of the leaves.

The pied oystercatchers are returning.

Maria Island is omnipresent, even in the East Coaster carpark.


*Friends of Triabunna Reserves.  We now have a website https://reserves-of-triabunna.org/

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely ramble through your winter garden. Apricot leaves are sublime. Jealous of figs (I'm thinking of getting a dwarf one). Those pumpkins are huge. My compost bin produces tomatoes galore!!! Haven't heard of Inga so shall do some research, though I think you may have mentioned her before. Happy wintering. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the ramble. The apricot tree is now bare of leaves. Very windy here! I think you should definitely grow a fig tree, possibly in a pot. Perhaps espaliered. That is the ultimate aim for mine...
    I have taken 'A Gift to the People' out from the library. Definitely no rambling there. I'd forgotten what a good writer you are. Goodness knows who's got my original copy.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete