Tuesday 4 October 2022

Fairly random

Things are happening, but not with many photos.
Vivien gave me a tea-towel with one of her designs when she visited recently.  She said some people use them as hand towels, an idea I seized on.  I had 3 others of her work filed away because they were getting too wrecked as tea towels.  All washed now and ready to dry clean hands in the bathroom.

I had some Friends of Triabunna Reserves' business to attend to at Pelican Walk last week.  En route I noticed these tulips in The Honey Lady's garden.  I'm not a great fan of tulips but, en masse and in the evening sunlight, they looked stunning.

Sadly we had a funeral to go to yesterday.  It was held at a funeral home on Rosny Hill.  The view of Bellerive from the carpark is amazing.

I have been doing some serious reading,
and some not so serious reading, although the topics touched on in both are of great importance to me.
I made a pledge to myself some time ago to read all the Charles Dickens books in order.  I reluctantly started The Pickwick Papers out of duty but find I absolutely love it.  It seems to me that there are allusions to events in Jane Austen and Henry Fielding's writing, and probably to dozens of  writers that I don't know.  Social commentary and events occur that become  major themes in later novels.  And also complaints that continue today, eg disgust at the old buildings that are being pulled down and the ugliness of the modern buildings that are replacing them!

2 comments:

  1. Those tulips did indeed look lovely but they always look too stiff for me. I prefer a droopy salvia, daisies or even a frilly rose. I love seeing photos of Bellerive from the 'heights'. Not sure I am with you on mushrooms saving the world (I'm afraid we both hate their earthy taste) but Pickwick Papers is always good for a laugh - though I remember getting sick of Dicken's penchant for silly names. My 1960's copy has 14/3 marked in pencil on the inside. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I only got halfway through Pickwick before I had to return it to the library. There were holds on it!!! I thought I was probably the only person in the world interested in reading it. The made up names reminded me of JK Rowling's character and place names, though I can remember that one of the Dicken's names seemed silly and childish.
    The mushroom book's title is a little misleading. It is about the importance of the mycelium threads that act like an internet through the soil. Although the latter part of the book is about growing edible fungi. I didn't read that bit.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete