Saturday 8 April 2023

The Seven Decades' Celebrations

As you may know I didn't want a party or a fuss made of turning seventy.  The main reason being that I can't believe I am 70.  Life has gone so quickly.  In my mind, I am sometimes 16 and sometimes in my forties.  I don't know how I suddenly got to the 70s.  I have a badge now, so it must be true.


I made a list of the seven local places I wanted to spend some time in and some treats (given that I have diabetes 2 now) to eat there.
Of course these plans, like life,  did not proceed in an orderly way and other little notes also crept on to such a conveniently placed piece of paper.
Jill PD and I did eat a delicious hamburger with the lot at Pelican Walk

The Weily Fox and I walked from the Eastcoaster along the track to One Tree Point.
Then turned around and walked back to have cocktails at the Eastcoaster.

Jill PD and I clambered down the rocks at Luther Point to eat delicious chips with wakame salt.

I checked out the Picnic Tree at Georgia's but sadly it has been badly damaged by wind and rain.  However, Georgia did throw a bbq party for her boyfriend, a mere lad at 50, and it became a surreptitious party for me too.  I didn't invite any guests but happily ate all the cakes on offer.
Prior to the party I had been at the Village Market, promoting Triabunna Reserves and FoTR.
Earlier in the week, Steve B, Rob and I had gone to the Ada Street Reserve to monitor the agapanthus flowers situation.  To our astonishment and joy, the agapanthuses had been dead headed, saving much beseeching to Crown Land Services for permission to deadhead them ourselves.  This was a birthday present in itself.  Having time on our hands we moved on to explore a piece of coastline via a road none of us had been on before.
Rob took 2 photos which I love as they capture the 'me' that I feel is at  my essence.
I was rather taken with the peaceful scene of fishers on the crayfish shed wharf.  This nearly qualifies as 'Esplanade East jetty' on my birthday list, but it's not the jetty I had in mind, and the plan was to cycle there with a small picnic.  So I'll keep that one on the list a bit longer.  I've still got The Thumbs to do.  Steve and Jill PD had intended to go to The Thumbs lookout this morning on Calendar 2024 business but we awoke to a raging storm and assumed visibility would be zilch.  The wild weather has continued to such an extent that Steve did not take his offsider to work at The Village today, and Jill doesn't seem at all aggrieved.  We listened briefly to an Easter Egg Hunt happening at the caravan park next door during a short break in the wind and rain.
It is Easter Sunday.  The story so far:
Easter Lilies heralded Easter at the Community Health Centre

Jilly gets in the mood on Good Friday pizza night

I unwrapped a mysterious package that Sandrine had included in my birthday parcel.  I assumed it was not to be opened until Easter, which is Easter Sunday in my good book.  Very surprised to find Hot Cross Buns!!!  Microwaved up just fine.

1 comment:

  1. In my youth, 70 seemed extremely old and people of that age quite doddery. You are definitely not following that template! Your walks always look so peaceful, combined with spectacular scenery and a sense of isolation - and healthy. Easter eggs have been on sale here since Boxing Day and I must admit I have had my fill of them. Delicious warmed or popped under the griller slathered with butter and strawberrry jam! Sandrine's looked especially tempting. FF

    ReplyDelete