Sunday 27 August 2023

Golly gosh

How time flies!!  Since I last blogged I've been to the dentist, got new tyres for the car, letterboxed referendum info, weeded Spanish Heath with Friends of Triabunna Reserves plus had a Gathering at The Springy, soireed at The Ladle Cortege and lunched at The East Coaster (we went for cocktails but the one we like best has risen to $28 so I opted for bubbles).
There was also Judy and Malcolm's concert at Friends School auditorium.

We were not a young crowd.  Suzie and I were amongst the younger set.  Some people struggled to climb the stairs to their seats.
But it was well worth it.  The singing was sublime.  Many of the choir members were silver coiffed.  I was bewitched by the shades of purple they sported in the glow of the downlights.  The programme did include Peer Gynt.
The following weekend was of a different ilk.  A Suicide Prevention Network conference
on Steele's Island, a rather speccy place.

In addition to the formal info and ideas swapping, we were treated to a pottery class under the sun
and a High Tea for 10 people that was almost obscene in abundance.  And a curse for diabetics.

Georgia brought some of her newly fired pots to show us before Friday pizzas.
I'm sure she'll be equally dazzled when I get my pottery back from Red Ochre after firing.

uni digs in Elizabeth Street, Hobart
In an amazing historical event, Steve and I drove into Hobart together.  Steve and Jill PD went off somewhere and I went to the Town Hall for a Van Diemen's Band lunchbox concert.
How I love these events.  There's the mingling with my grey-haired peers, and the virtuosic performances.  All for $10.
This concert was also to show off the new artwork by Deborah Wace on the harpsichord lid.  They are all Tasmanian wildflowers, some now extinct.

Back in Tribes there are signs of Spring:
walking to Suzie's place for tai chi
Suzie's driveway


My own garden has surprised with the emergence of some tulips I thought I'd got rid of.  I must admit I do like these small but still elegant ones growing amongst the wasabi leaf plant.

I came across this book by a circuitous route.  Gabrielle Carey co-wrote Puberty Blues with Katty Lette some time ago.  She died only fairly recently.  I'm chuffed that she was as captivated by Elizabeth von Arnim (aka Mary Beachamp) as I am.
I am currently very happy with my garden
broadbean flowers in afternoon sun

and house.  Photos for me to enjoy while I'm away in Adelaide for a cuppla weeks to celebrate Mum's birthday.  97!!

No comments:

Post a Comment