Thursday 18 January 2024

18th January

It is the anniversary of my first wedding.
I found this photo while searching for something else.  I didn't realise at the time what a stunning mob we made.  I have learned so much from all of these people - even the groom.  How I love that CK Beagle, Lady Jayne and Pearl - aka The Easterers - are in the front row with me.

I told you previously that I was reading this book.  I've finished it.  The story seems a little more forced than in de Blasi's earlier books, but still so lovely to eat garden, orchard, meadow and forest fresh in Italy.  Towards the end of the book, the oldest character (in her eighties) says:

'I have always preferred the last bite of my supper to the first, the beginning being fraught with hunger, the last with serenity.  As life should be.'

 A resonance here.

Last night the current series of Fargo ended and then I went to bed and finished this book.
I started watching The Doll Factory on television but it was much too sinister for me.  I could cope with the book.  Fargo had bits I couldn't bear to watch too.  Both had themes of restraint and the yearning for freedom.  More resonance!

1 comment:

  1. What a charming and very elegant bride you were. The only one (I'm sorry to say) with a sense of style and glamour. Did you not have a bridesmaid? Love the book quote though not sure I've nailed the 'serenity' bit yet. . And I saw so many trailers for The Doll Factory It quite turned me off it. I prefer fun and laughter these days. FF

    ReplyDelete