Sunday 6 June 2021

Same old Sunday

Only 3 for swimming today.  This isn't them.  A fourth - a man - turned up a little later.  I took Jilly and parked in a different cliff top access.  In all the excitement organising leash, poo bags, etc, I forgot to get the camera.  May be next week...  Spring Beach was, yet again, beautiful, and the water not too cold.  Admittedly I only paddled and fetched the stick for Jill PD.  I was pretty sure the dog I called Brodie but whose name, in fact, is Jordy would be there.  And he was.  Though he and Jill paid scant attention to each other, and my vision of them chasing each other endlessly along the beach fell short.

I met 2 couples who live in Queensland and spend winter in Tasmania.  I had not heard of this phenomenon but it stands to reason to some extent.  Many Orford / Spring Bay residents fly north to the Gold Coast for winter so there must be a lot of accommodation / house sitting opportunities here.

Came home to housework, washing, etc, and then sprang into the garden.  Sundays are bliss because Steve and Jill PD go to The Village for 3 hours.  It's amazing what you can achieve when you don't have to throw a ball all the time.
One of the many joys of a self-sown garden is the chance of colour combinations that I would never think of.  Interestingly, Monty Don is not enamoured of Giverny because it is not a planned garden as such but a palette of colours using flowers.

I would never think to grow snapdragons and broad beans together, but these self sown bods are getting on famously.  I have planted my 4 free tulips among them, and am watching that space.

The Silver Princess, definitely not self sown, looks fabulous against the sky turned grey.


I am mostly ignoring the vegetable patches at the moment and letting them get on with their own thing.  I did spoil them with some sheep poo earlier in the week.  I have turned my attention back to the archaeological dig and the development of a winter / spring garden, ie lily of the valley, solomon's seal, and hellebores.  I see foxgloves across the rise - but there's a lot more grass cutting, excavating and soil improvement to do first.
looking west

looking east

Some may think I have taken gardening too far, but that would be patently(1)  ridiculous.

The big news is that Georgia has flown into Sydney.  After 2 weeks quarantine, she will fly to Tassie  and hopefully take residence up the road soon after.  More garden to play with.

(1) Talking of which, the top photo is a Roxy ad from Yen, Issue 40, 2009.  The last photo comes from Textile Fibre Forum, Issue 3, No.95, 2009.  Magazines take a while to get to Tribes - possibly because of Rock Down.

1 comment:

  1. You are a tease! You almost had me thinking you were the girl in the middle of the group at Spring Beach in 1971. But I was not fooled by the corn bed. Silver Princess always a winner, and I can see the potential of the archaeological dig site. You must be so looking forward to the Lady of the Manor taking up residence nearby. FF

    ReplyDelete