Tuesday 10 May 2022

Home - something to write about



On Monday I had School Association treasurer duties to perform, ie banking money raised from the Easter Raffle and Mothers' Day stall.  The closest Bendigo Bank is either Sorell or Swansea, so I chose Swansea of course.  Jill PD accompanied me as Security.  We stopped a couple of times for wees, poos, scallop pies and a good look around.  It is a beautiful drive.

I have been wanting to give a Garden Report but there is not a lot to report photographically.  We've had some potatoes, fartichokes, beans, small onions and the inevitable (sorry FF) rhubarb.  But there are also leeks enough for Friday night pizza.  The apple crops were good this year but codling moths also enjoyed themselves - another lesson learned for next year.  The pears, however, have been plentiful.  I have learned how to ripen them, and they are delicious.  It is the last of the crop and, of course, they're all ripening at once.  I've been tempted to dry some and will do so if we have a similar harvest next year.  But today I decided to make a pear, fetta and walnut tart for lunch.
Not bad at all.  I love having the rocket and mache to nonchalantly garnish.  The Floosie sent me a Monty Don garden quote which I love:

" The whole point about gardening is not to learn how to garden, but is to find solace, is to be happy, is to make beauty, is to have spiritual communion, is to have fun and muck about. How we do that really, really doesn't matter".

I'm sure Monty is my soul mate... though I think the quote applies to life and not just the garden, if you are lucky enough to live in a place of peace and plenty.  I suppose that is paradise enow.

In other news:
we Friends of Triabunna Reserves are very relieved to see a Pied Oystercatcher back in Tribes

I am sporting reddish legs myself in celebration
I bought the uggies in Adelaide.  They are made just up the road from Pearl's place.  A lovely adventure to meet the people who actually made them.

1 comment:

  1. I am so remiss in not having checked your blog for a while (am trying to finish my 'memoirs' and get it off to the printers). Yes - that is a glorious drive. Lovely photo with rock in foreground. Oooh. That tart looked delicious. Have you bottled or stewed and frozen any of the pear crop? And the Uggs look very comfortable and I must say, rather stylish for Uggs. FF

    ReplyDelete