Thursday 26 January 2023

Easterish

Pearl returned home on the Tuesday and Lady Jayne arrived on Wednesday.  The Easterers were just about together again.  We visited old haunts.
Where the river meets the sea at Port Noarlunga.  A lot of frolicking with first husbands happened here.
Pearl showed us where this beautiful staircase now winds down to the beach.
A West Beach marina.
We took the Glenelg tram into the Adelaide Market to stock up on provisions for New Year's Eve.  I was in my element, though it was rather ho hum for Pearl and Lady Jayne who have everyday access to such abundance.  We spent an indulgent NYE watching the Adelaide fireworks with some of Pearl's neighbours, and Lady Jayne and I saw the New Year in, something neither of us have done for a loooong time.  We even kept a vague pledge to return to Port Noarlunga for a swim on New Year's Day,
joining the local talent,
me
The Pearl
Lady Jayne keeps wisely to the shade.
though not in the yellow, blue and olive green terry towelling bikinis of yore.
The next day was all about culture.  Back on the Glenelg tram and off to the Botanical Gardens and Art Gallery.
via Adelaide Uni, our alma mater

turtles at the Bot Gards enthralled  young and old

The Art Gallery seems to have been rejigged a bit and has a fresher look to my eyes.  I was a bit stunned to see all these works of Clarice Beckett on one wall.  The Floosie and I went to an exhibition of her work which had an entire downstairs gallery devoted it to it.  You can see her blog post of it here.

It was lovely to see these works on display in the main gallery and not relegated to 'Indigenous Art' or some such niche spot.
The Adelaide skyline seems different every time I visit.  This is the view from the Art Gallery's original entrance on North Terrace.  I would be  unable to place it had I not taken the photo myself.

After all that culture you need to replenish the brain with a good fish feed.
So we went to Glenelg Marina in search of a seafood platter.  It took us a while but we found it at a restaurant called The Wharf.  It was expensive but delicious.
Pearl knows a secret parking spot where there are always parks, plus a pleasant walk to the restaurant strip on the marina.  It was a very silver evening as we walked to the car.  We returned to the restaurant the next evening to try their beef ragout with pumpkin gnocchi.  It was a huge serve but too salty for me,


but we struggled womanfully.  And thus, after an indulgent and nostalgic week, we parted ways.  Lady Jayne back to Canberra, me off to Encounter Bay, and the Pearl finally allowed to enjoy the comfort of her own home.

2 comments:

  1. The adventures continue. We've never been to that part of Port Noarlunga so that's definitely on the list. Beach bunnies looking good though I'm more of a Lady Jayne myself these days keeping out of the sun (encouraged by my skin doctor who said, before biopsing my suspicious skin cancery lumps, 'Did you get a lot of sun when you were younger?') The Beckett exhibition may be spoiled a little by placing them all together I fear - no sense of the artistry behind each painting. Loved the shell necklaces (bet Georgia likes them too). And the food you ate looks simply delicious. Perhaps Steve and I will search out that Wharf restaurant next time we are in Adelaide! Keep the adventures coming. FF

    ReplyDelete