Wednesday 22 February 2023

Au revoir, Geelong, not So Long

The drive south from Mildura is far from my favourite.  I could bear it when I worked in Mildura and left on the eve of the Labour Day long weekend to travel to Portland. Once I got to Hopetoun, I knew I was in for the pleasures of the Hs - Horsham, Hamilton and Heywood.  Not so the road to Geelong - Birchip, Donald, etc in the Mallee / Wimmera - wheat country that I find frightening.  I heard it described recently as a desert, and that is how I experienced it.  Perhaps the Gobi was too much on my mind.  Sun on the stubble does not entrance me.  I can think only of agribusiness, monoculture and supermarket ads.  The pastries (totally wheatless, I'm sure) were quickly consumed and had to provide comfort until I reached St Arnaud.  From there, the country changes and I could breathe again.  I still had to negotiate Ballarat, but I did it.  I eventually got to Geelong and tried to find the ferry berth, hoping I could change my booking and leave that night.  Of course, I was in the wrong lane of the Princes Highway in peak hour traffic when I saw the Spirit of Tasmania turn off.  First rule of life:  Don't Panic.  After a small panic, I took the next right turn and found  myself in country I had visited previously when I got lost leaving the ferry some weeks before.  Every cloud... But the boat was fully booked that night so I had to find a place to stay.  The staff at the ferry terminal were very helpful and helped me find a motel on the Princes Highway so I would have a direct run the next day.

the Rippleside Motel is classic 1960s but cheap and perfectly located (for the geographically challenged)
walking into Geelong the next day
some pretty streets
a beautiful regional art gallery - just my size
an amusing artwork
The ferry was scheduled to sail at 6.30pm and I was there waiting by 3pm having had a big day in Geelong, concluding it is a great place and needs a return trip for a few days' exploration, but taking no chances.
After a satisfying buffet dinner, I retired to my favourite recliner beside a salt stained window as the sun set
and watched the moon through much of the night.  It is only a shortish drive from Devonport to Triabunna and does not require a lot of sleep the night before.
Flowers and Bobbin are happy to be home.  Flowers is content with her old cottage, Bobbin having established a penthouse with a large deck on which they happily reminisce their latest adventure.  And plan a longer stay in Geelong and environs next time.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your geographically challenged drive from Mildura to the Spirit. Perhaps you need a Thelma to your Louise??? The Geelong Art Gallery looked lovely - I don't think I've been there. Sunset photo excellent. And now - Home Sweet Home (aka Villa Cerdo Volador). FF

    ReplyDelete