Thursday 15 February 2024

Blooming Cathedral

Now, you know I have a thing for cathedrals.  When Jean Green Bean told me about the Blooming Church Floral Festival at St Davids Cathedral, Hobart, I put it in my diary (aka Steve's calendar) and tripped off last Sunday.

I wasn't overly impressed by the flower arrangements but it was exciting to tread parts of the cathedral I had previously only glimpsed during concerts.  And so you can see from the Chancel looking back to the entry.
if you're not au fait with cathedral terminology this may help.
Ignore the coffee cup stain.

these bears made themselves comfortable in the Sanctuary, and showed a lot of forethought

There was also an exhibition of cathedral-inspired floral art.  The Bean instructs the art group
and naturally her work was the standout in all its subtlety.

While perusing the art I noticed occasional stones with plaques set in the walls.  To my immense satisfaction, there is a stone from My St Davids in Wales.

There was nothing as exuberant in the cathedral as this display at our Community Health Centre,
and, while I lifted this photo from a website, I had to share it with you.  So literally uplifting.

I was exuberant about Malcolm's lunch offering this week

and Mozart seemed perfectly happy with his brekky this morning.  I'm feeding him while Soiree Anne is away.
Here's the back of Anne's Ladle Stern Cottage without a stone in sight.  Previously I have only blogged its beautiful sandstone frontage.

And so to this book.  Recommended by Madam Cyn, it's written by a guy who works at the State Library.  It's an excellent and easy read set in and around Strahan on the west coast.

2 comments:

  1. The cathedral looked lovely but I thought there would be flowers everywhere in that colourfully effusive manner that churchwomen do. Your community health centre sure showed 'em how! The bears were a bit off-putting - not sure of the significance. Perhaps you can enlighten me. I must say that the Bean's work is truly superb.
    And do you think Malcom could be enticed to move to Victor Harbor? FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bears seemed sacrilegious, even to me. Tacky.
    Like you, I expected the cathedral to be festooned and overblown, but the flowers were restricted to the sides of the cathedral and very controlled. Most of the exhibits were from groups and societies associated with the cathedral. Perhaps they felt obliged to participate. A sullen protest. They could learn exuberant ikebana from the Bellerive Social Institute... XXXX

    ReplyDelete