Friday, 31 July 2026

staying a little bit local

I have started giving granddaughter, Sarah, driving lessons.  Early days yet, so we are staying very local.
After Lesson One we celebrated at Cugini, my local Italian restaurant.  We did indulge but these were not for us.  We were both fascinated with this line of drinks - rum and coke, or something more exotic?  There were 7 lined up on the bar.

I saw this ad somewhere when I first moved back to Bellerive but thought it was not my thing.
granny put the kettle on...
I have tried a few local exercise classes and have discovered Cult fitness is my thing, at least for now.  Tats and heavy duty machines, and conveniently situated in Howrah.  If Jilly would stay happily home alone, I could ride my bicycle here and become Amazonian.
We compromise.  I drive there, Jill stays in the car while I pump iron, then we have a little explore.  The views from Howrah are stunning.

I have also returned to calligraphy classes after a 40 year hiatus.
Again, not saying I'll stick with it long term but the classes are enjoyable and the teacher provides inspiration, like this beautiful book.  One problem I have encountered is that everything for old people is on Monday and Wednesday 12 - 1pm, and there's so many possibilities.

I have used the library a lot for borrowing books and calligraphy lessons and, recently for a film too.
There were 2 of us in the audience.  I still feel angry and ashamed at the loss of The Voice Referendum.  Aboriginal culture, like many indigenous cultures, has so much to teach us.
Filmed in 2017 in Mparntwe (Alice Springs), Sandy Bore Homeland, and Borroloola Community, Northern Territory, a recurring theme in the documentary is the traditional healing techniques.  This ties in nicely with a book Steve sent me for Christmas.  Let's hope this knowledge lasts and continues to be shared.

Jill PD and I have also checked out the Clarence Art Prize Exhibition in the Rosny Barn and School House.

When not seeking culture, we stay home and make very chocolatey crackolates  which Jill PD is not allowed to eat.
inspiration from The Gentle Art of Domesticity

just showing off.  Usually I eat them straight from the mixing bowl.

Now we're off to Pat's place for pizza 🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

No comments:

Post a Comment