Saturday 5 December 2020

a lull with 15 minutes of fame

Monday before last took me on a short trip up the road to Pontypool with Her Majesty and Mrs O Henry.  Our destination was the newest cafe on the block.  Justine was a long serving Teacher's Aide at Triabunna School.  She retired recently and has set up shop with her daughter.  It is very nicely done but oh how I would love a change from coffee and cake or fish and chips.

Something like this.  Prawn Thai salad.  Delicious, full of prawns and only $17 at the fish punt in Bellerive.  We have moved on now to last Thursday.  I can't remember much of the intervening days apart from a meeting at Spring Bay Mill, 2 school lunch preps, and the wake for the lovely Kath, aged 93 and former tai chi participant with us.  She was one of the most perfect people I have ever met.

I was in Bellerive for a 7pm celebration of Bellerive Historical Society's 30 years.

Note The Floosie's former abode, Glenfield, on the top of the rise.
Rachel and Fred provided great fun music with a few historical barbs
Covid restrictions meant that supper was meagre.  The bar was open but I was too scared to have a drink because I was there to launch a book, Magical Memories, by the Society's Patron and prolific book producer.  That is his bike propped against the stage - a relic from his days as Bellerive's Telegram Boy.
As it turned out, I was also there to receive an award, timber on sandstone which I thought was a nice touch.  Above you can see more of the night's stash: a packet of tiny scotch finger biscuits from supper, and a huge jar of ginger from a recently opened tiny Indian / Sri Lankan supermarket in Bellerive.  It was a long drive home in the dark, crawling along to avoid any animals.  Fortunately the only wildlife I saw was a rabbit hurtling across the road ahead of me, with plenty of time to spare.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the glimpse of Glenfield. I take it that wasn't your yacht moored in the Bay. It must have been a lovely celebratory night of reminiscences. And congrats on 'outstanding achievement' award. Well deserved. Fancy - 30 years and still going strong (the Society, that is, though you too, of course.) Has John's bike met Lauren Bacall? FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a sandstone achievement award too. Not sure how they're going to get it to you. They weigh a ton.
    I think Lauren is a bit frisky for John's bike. Also, John was appalled to realise his bike was a Girl's Bike!
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete