Tuesday 26 January 2021

1/3d

I joined the swimming group at Spring Beach on Sunday.  Yesterday the Weily Fox suggested we all meet at 9am today to celebrate and be grateful for living in this wonderful place.

I got there a little early to do the Wu Tao dance of gratitude.  Dot also arrived early and joined me as I struggled to remember the dance and deal with the soft sand.  I have been waiting to do this for a long time.

It is Australia Day and I was so happy that one swimmer brought an Aboriginal Flag.  The sea was perfect for us all - smooth, crystal clear and then a run of 4-5 nice waves.  Emerging from my first wave, I thought 'Young and Free', then realised that it has (rightly in my opinion, for we are a very old country and culture) been changed to 'One and Free', and then realised I was singing 'One and Three', and amused myself terribly, thinking of Perks the grocer in South Ruislip a long time ago.

Will I bring Jill PD to future swims?  This is Jordy.

Yesterday The Fox said she would bring lamingtons.  It was hot yesterday - in the upper 30s - and last night I felt sorry for her slaving away over lamingtons.  Then I realised there was no way she was making them.  She, like me, is known for not cooking.  Apparently there were no lamingtons to be bought so we had rum balls and snow balls and cherries.  All well received.

I had one rum ball only and returned home for a true Aussie breakfast, though I didn't make billy tea.

Yesterday I finished this book which I loved and read avidly.  But I am disappointed somehow by the ending.  It started to seem like the resolution of The Handmaid's Tale, which I've only ever read, not being brave enough to watch it on telly.  I'm now wondering whether the parallel is intentional.  The books have similar themes and the word 'bond maid' figures prominently as a Lost Word.

I am now embarking on this one.  The Floosie wasn't all that keen so I'm trying to give it a fair go...  Which is what we Australians pride ourselves on.  And I always wanted to be a lighthouse keeper.

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous first picture. I smiled when you wrote about 'being grateful for living in this wonderful place' because I was just writing my blog and saying how fortunate I felt for living here. I guess we are both lucky to live in areas that are sufficiently safe from the virus to be able to go about our normal activities. Was there any channeling of Miss Tibbs on the beach? And well done you on an early morning swim. Was it cold? My own contribution to Australia Day was a backyard barbie with sausages,lamb chops and onions, though unfortunately Steve (mine) doesn't like sausages or onions. My suggestion of a vege sandwich as an alternative did not go down well. Let's know what you think of the lighthouse book. FF



    ReplyDelete