Monday 23 August 2021

bright and beautiful, but windy

Friday before last saw the launch of the inaugural Mars father and daughter exhibition at The Village.  I went back on Wednesday to take some photos.  A lady came in and asked whether it was the work of the local art group. 'Oh no,' I exclaimed in what I hope was a blasé voice, 'It is the work of my husband and stepdaughter'.  Wendy Whitely probably enjoyed the same circumstance.

As forecast, the weather became wet and windy during the exhibition opening, and the decision was made then to cancel the Sunday Market.  This was somewhat devastating as most of Triabunna had been waiting out the month for the Hmong market gardeners to return and replenish our stocks. We are now facing an outbreak of scurvy.

The wind was such that it blew a tree from the caravan park over the fence and onto our water tank.

During the week, the manager from the caravan park removed the fallen tree 
and fixed the broken pipe.
Hopefully we will now have some decent rain to fill the tank. It is, in fact, raining gently as I blog.

On one of the wet and windy days I sat down and read this book cover to cover.  I possibly wouldn't have chosen this one but Mrs O Henry read it and said it was page turning despite there being no murders to solve.  It was an excellent read and quite thought provoking.  Of course at $6 it was a top of the range PUBS recommendation.
Every Thursday is School Lunch.  This time the menu was salmon pasta bake and fruit muffins. Jen and I whipped up over a hundred muffins.  Jen's cooked up beautiful and uniform.  Mine were a little more politically-correct diverse.

I was entrusted with Pinkle's care again, and took the opportunity to peruse Georgia's garden.  Spring bulbs are popping up all over the place, including the above.  I have no idea what they are.
Any ideas?

 
I had to show you these little (though ecologically undesirable) pines, looking perfect for Christmas.  Much tidier than that old gum tree...

Signs of Spring in my garden too - the quince tree on which so many of my plans are laid - 
and the japonica which I love despite it being a shadow of Georgia's hedge.

1 comment:

  1. FF to the rescue. I reckon they are lachenalia bulbs from South Africa. We used to call them 'soldiers'. Check them out online and see if you agree.
    Love the exhibition but would have liked some close-up shots.
    I spotted your muffins right away - well done!
    Pet peeve - I hate it when an author's name is larger than the title of the book! And lastly, your water tank is very impressive. Luckily it wasn't damaged too much. These pesky spring winds. (I say spring but it is definitely in the air.)

    ReplyDelete