Saturday 14 August 2021

Home Sweet Home

I thought I had lost access to my blog earlier in the week and have spent some time trying to get back into it.  I gave up and was planning a new blog with a new sign-in when, non credibile!, I cracked the code and here I am.  I am not going to report on the damaging winds or deck progress this time but am staying with the cosily domestic.


a beautiful corner in Georgia's house

I was there to feed Pinkle while Georgia spent a cuppla days in Hobart to celebrate Son 3's birthday.  Naturally I was lured out by this amazing japonica hedge.  I've never seen it used as hedging before.  It makes sense because it has such barbarous thorns, so ideal refuge for small birds, and very beautiful.

Back at The Flying Pig I've stopped gnashing and wailing over my flattened daffodils and seized the opportunity to bring them inside.  I wouldn't have picked them if they had stood tall and triumphant.

We have also been charmed by an accompanying spider and its beautiful web.

Her Majesty gave me  a jar of her quince jam.  It is absolutely delicious with ricotta on soy & linseed toast.  And looks like bud burst in Spring.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for bark from previous blog. I'm afraid I haven't checked the blog for a while so had a lovely stroll through the last two. We had a japonica bush in Bolwarra - beautifully Japanese looking with masses of white flowers in spring, but oh those thorns. It was hard work removing it - it was so big and had not been pruned for years and years and was in a part of the garden we walked through a lot so we kept getting spiked. Georgia looks as if she has settled in well - what a comforting room. My two daffodil bulbs completely disappeared this year - they were planted a couple of years ago so I expected to see a few more. I suspect our wayward devil Bix as the culprit as there are always holes dug everywhere throughout the side garden which he has claimed as 'his patch'. Loved your bike ride. It's the type of countryside I adore. And, unlike here, you don't get masses of cars passing you as you ride. Looking forward to seeing deck progress. FF

    ReplyDelete