Friday 8 October 2021

The joy of worms

The view from the kitchen window now the laundry has been demolished.  We have had a lot of gentle rain.  The rain, plus hours of work in the garden, has produced worms.  You may recall that when we bought the house (2014), the garden was very neat and sterile.  Most of it was under layers of carpet to stop those pesky self sowers.  I spent hours pulling up that carpet and more hours pouring wood ash, manure, compost, seaweed and mulch on to that pale, compacted ground.  For quite a few years I was disappointed, and frustrated, at the scarcity of worms but this year big fat juicy ones, long thin slimey ones, worms that wiggle and squirm.  Now the garden can get a wriggle on.
aquilegia looking promising
a melange...
a posing magpie
and spiders are very welcome too
Wilma Nextdoor gave me bluebell plants the year we moved in.
Finally flowering.
triumphant lily of the valley
I have long cursed that I can't get gaura to grow in this garden.
Just realised rocket flowers are a pretty good substitute.
getting ready for the broadbean explosion
This is the first year I've experienced the wonderful perfume of their flowers.
So many joys in the garden!

1 comment:

  1. Deck looking fabulous and very Vogue. And yay for worms. [As an aside, I took out all the compost from our bin recently and for every shovel there was at least 2 dozen wrigglies!!!! I put the compost everywhere in the garden so hoping they are digging away somewhere.] Lovey photos of the garden, especially the spiderweb and the maggie-and-blossom shot. It's all so Englishy with lily of the valley, bluebell and the helleborus that I think I saw in your bluebell photo - I'm a tad envious. I think the gaura substitute looks very much like a gaura. All in all, spring has definitely sprung at the Flying Pig.FF

    ReplyDelete