Saturday 27 August 2022

Mission success rate >50%

Well, things may not have gone to plan but remember those books I borrowed?  Thank goodness.  Naturally, my reading glasses broke but I found my Metro Card while looking for my Swiss Army knife to use (unsuccessfully) as a screwdriver.  Reading could continue after a makeshift, odd, but free, repair from a nearby spec shop.  Balancing them on my nose proved challenging when wearing a mask but I persevered and spent many a happy hour in a sunny nook at Pearl's Resort.  That place really has everything, including the generous Pearl who got on with her own life but provided for me wonderfully.
a sunny nook in Provence, courtesy of one of the library books I borrowed

There were other pleasures.

Greek seafood at Zante at Henley Beach

geocaching with Pearl and her sister 
a mad beachfront cafe with dachsunds on the roof...
and a very good macchiato

Despite my pitiful condition and alarming cough,  Fleurieu Floosie was willing to have me stay as planned.  And planned it was with all sort of delicacies like rhubarb cake, raspberry friands, champagne, cocktails, and splendiferous meals.
pisco sour and empanada
The Flooze in action

the pleasure of well travelled friends - a touch of Syria - rose jelly

Port Elliot was also on the agenda.
The Floosie keeps an eye on Redruth, twice holiday accommodation for the Easterers, pre covid.
at the Easterers favourite table at their favourite pub on The Strand.

Bobbin takes a last look at Horseshoe Bay

In the meantime H Bells, sister extraordinaire, had devised a most cunning plan.  And thus it came to pass that we rendezvoused outside the nursing home, all three  of us taking in the fresh sea air and gale force wind for as long as we could stand it.

a family photo that will be marveled over for years

Leaving very early the next morning, I drove to Melbourne, stopping frequently to re-fuel and fool the faulty fuel gauge.  And eating my Subway salad wrap at Green Lake somewhere outside Horsham. 

The country side is vibrant green with yellow stripes of canola and wattle.  Lambs frolicked.  I was blessed by a crescent moon, two rainbows and a pelican flying over me at Murray Bridge.

Things hadn't gone quite to plan but I finally had the Glory Box that Dad made for me when I was about 12.  I had seen Mum as I remember her best - rugged up for Welsh weather.  I coffeed with  my sister.  I had been cossetted by such good friends.  I had eaten mandarins fresh from Heths' neighbour's tree and grapefruits from Mum's garden.  Bobbin had learned that life's not just a beach.

1 comment:

  1. You certainly had a varied time in Adelaide. I did a double-take when you mentioned Pearl's resort followed by a gorgeous picture of a courtyard in Provence (sigh!). I was just about to ask her if I could stay. Our time together, albeit short, was wonderful and your photos absolutely capture our favourite things - food, drink and Port Elliot. Glad the Glory Box made it. FF

    ReplyDelete