Saturday 29 July 2023

Le jardin revisité

French, not because of Le Tour but because of la tour d'Eiffel virtually opposite our place.  The work on it is now finished and it looked magnificent one evening as I was driving home.

I haven't written much about the garden lately because there is not much to tell.  I have been reducing the area of productive garden and gradually converting it to predominantly Tasmanian eastcoast endemics.  I don't seem to have the time or energy to be growing lots of vegetables, and I do like the idea of making my garden as wildlife friendly as possible.
Fortunately the garden has a mind of its own so it's sent up broadbeans, silverbeet, mâche and heartsease on its own initiative.

I  altered this small area to be just garden stones and poa.  I'd forgotten about the jonquils, and the artichokes obviously decided to return.

I have learned that it is perfectly acceptable and useful to combine natives and exotics.  The japonica and Silver Princess may not do much more for the wildlife than provide nectar for birds, but they feed my soul.

I am proud of my poa and lichened stones, though can't say I've seen much wildlife hanging around.

All this backyard conversion requires a lot of of pruning and then chipping.  The pile never seems to diminish.

You may recall that when we first moved into this house, over nine years ago, I said the first thing I was going to do was take the heads of these palings to make a standard picket fence.  It will never happen, plus I think that these pickets are probably more appropriate.  Regardless, I like the lichen.
So let's open the gates (we keep them closed these days so Jill can use the doggy door safely day and night) and stroll along Melbourne Street towards George's place.
The footy oval is just about opposite Georgia's  house.  Last weekend there was a big match on and the oval was lined with cars.  I thought of taking a photo but was too lazy.  I believe there will be a big match next weekend and I may drop in to imbibe some atmosphere.  I doubt I'll stay long.  It's all a bit peripheral to me but the heart of Triabunna for many.

Back to the Tribes I love.  The evenings have been beautiful.

Today I finished reading this wonderful book.  I loved Eat, Pray, Love and read it twice at a time when it was just the sort of book I needed to read.  This book is nothing like it.  It is huge in scope, well researched, intellectually challenging, exciting and gratifying.  I wish I'd written it.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, those lovely lavender colours of dusk are gorgeous. I love the idea of endemic plants and with your work with the environment group you know what ones to plant. I've never been a vege grower (too much time and water spent on nurturing them), though we did grow enormous zucchini in Bolwarra (when everyone had a glut of them and we got sick of zucchini slice, zucchini soup...). I had one successful season with passionfruit, but the vine died. Gilbert's book sounds great. I've added it to my list. And I love your picket fence, so no tampering with it!. FF

    ReplyDelete