Tuesday 18 July 2023

Variety week

 For some the week started comme d'habitude (we talk like that during Le Tour).
Sunday morning in the sunroom, possibly after a night watching bikes
I can't actually remember that Sunday, though that may have been the day I started giving Ella driving lessons.
Tuesday saw me sacrifice zumba to visit Malcolm's place with Friends of Triabunna Reserves.  Malcolm's property borders The Pines, one of our strangest reserves because it is Crown Land filled increasingly with self-seeding radiata pine.  Locals often use it as a tip, and it has an eerie atmosphere.
We're returning tomorrow to attack some Spanish Heath and boneseed.  Our reward is soup and delicious sourdough bread at The Village.

Wednesday was civilised scary.  I took my sewing machine into Hobart for repair, only to be told that there was nothing wrong with it.  I'd just forgotten one small step necessary to raise the feed-dogs.  Hmmmm.  So I thought I'd drop in to Bellerive and see if I could get a copy of John Houghton's book on the Bellerive Sorell Railway for a friend.  Bellerive Village has changed so much since we lived there.  I no longer find it charming.
The newsagent does still stock our Bellerive Heritage series but had long sold out of John's railway book.
I consoled myself with the Winter InStyle - unobtainable in Triabunna or Orford, and required reading for a lifestyle like mine.
I had left the car in the carpark behind our old house.  It was amusing to see this sign indicating the  house where we used to live.  We always referred to it as 01 Queen Street because a young Georgia had painted the number on the top of the letterbox while facing the street.
From memory, Thursday was wildly windy so I gave myself permission to do nothing but read Heather Rose The Museum of Modern Love.  I love her writing and am boggled that one person seems to know so much of the tangibles and intangibles of life.  It really challenged me to think.  Being in virtual New York for a couple of days was refreshing too.
Friday was tai chi only cos yoga's on hold for 2 weeks.  Later the Weily Fox and I had a meeting with a local councilor to discuss some community health stuff.  We tossed around ideas during the course of which the councilor mentioned a woman with whom I think I have something in common, ie an ex-husband.

A walk to the shops showed signs of Spring, so I finally spent some time in the garden.
first flowers in Daffodil Alley

the japonica looking good

garlic emerging

hellebores, etc

And I finally got to blutack this card above my bedroom door as a reward for cleaning and tidying my room.  Back in the 1970s I saw an etching of goldfish that I desired with all my heart.  It was $600+ and way out of my league.  I like this little card nearly as much.

1 comment:

  1. Garden looks great. The flowering plum and japonica are so colourful. I love the winter flowering plants and the early signs of spring. I have never been able to grow hellebores so envious of your bounty. And je suis trés triste re Bellerive. I guess developers are responsible for its lack of charm? Have not heard of the Heather Rose book so will look out for it. Is it newish? The goldfish card is lovely though I had to keep zooming in to see it in all its glory. Bon soir. The Tour is nearly over and in a few weeks it will be the Vuelta - so brush up your Spanish! FF

    ReplyDelete