Sunday 23 July 2017

Domain event

Steve had an appointment in Hobart last Friday so I parked on the Domain and the Pharaoh Dog and I went for a stroll.






Many years ago my friend Miss Pat's parents lived up here but I couldn't identify the house even though we had driven there a few times in Miss Pat's Datsun Fairlady - her pride and joy.  There are so many lovely houses up here with gorgeous architectural details.  I restrained myself to two.  I love the leadlight detail on this one:


and this one appeared to have a widow's walk around the chimney, as well as a lovely little balcony which looks directly out to sea along the Derwent River.

Philip Smith building former Teachers' Training College and once part of the University site on the Domain.

Looking toward the Railway Roundabout

When we got home, there was a pirate ship moored at the end of the road.


On Saturday Steve left for The Village like a strolling minstrel
while PD and I trotted off to the formal Opening of the Wharf Extension and Marina.  There was an icy wind and a select crowd

but I did discover that the alleged pirate ship is in fact the Windward Bound training vessel.  I had bought a bag of scallops on the way home on Friday
so went home to a light lunch
and a glass of this wine which had seemed rather ordinary when I'd opened it a week or so ago but had vastly improved when I rediscovered it in the fridge.
And then settled down with an appropriate book.

3 comments:

  1. Triabunna calls with its redevelopments and its opportunities to savour the seafood - with a crisp white perchance - a week in the fridge does not sound hopeful, but obviously magic happens! Your photos of Hobart are a delight, but I suspect that any travel south for us would not be in midwinter! The sun in our garden this afternoon was delightful - harbinger of warmer days ahead for all of us. LJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a crisp but tasteless wine when I opened it. It was a gift and not a cheap wine. When I rediscovered it in the fridge, it had developed into quite a fruity, aromatic little number. Lovely for a wintersun afternoon.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work in the Phillip Smith building - it was wonderful. Thanks for giving me a vicarious tour of the Domain again. Does development ever cease in Triabunna? You'll be putting in a bid for the Olympics soon!!!!! FF

    ReplyDelete