Monday 31 July 2017

Good works

I've spent the last week becoming treasurer of the Spring Bay Suicide Prevention Network and planting trees with school kids and the Rocky Hills Landcare Group.  All of which are very noble but don't give many photo opportunities.  Steve and I have also been wallowing in Sea Change DVDs which has been wonderfully nostalgic.  Living here often reminds me of Sea Change particularly when I cross the bridge at Orford.
I've just come from the library with Inspector Rex DVDs this time, plus the book and DVD of To Kill a Mockingbird.  Having read To Set a Watchman (thank you, Pearl) I felt it was time to revisit the Mockingbird.  I have also re-read Catcher in the Rye which I'm sure we had to read at school and of which I had no memory other than what an arrogant jerk Holden Caulfield was and the phrase 'colder than a witch's teat'.  It has improved with time, especially my time in New York.  It is easier to look at adolescence when you are 64.

I took the photo on a day when the sun came streaming through the kitchen window.  Despite my cropping you can still see some of the dirty window and the birds look a bit fuzzy with dust.

2 comments:

  1. It is lovely to see you so involved in the community and puts my once-a-month stint on the National Trust desk to shame. It must be the melancholy of winter, for I too am revisiting books. Have just read 'Lorna Doone' again and am now immersed in 'Larkrise to Candleford' with its evocative picture of Victoriana English countryside. And I read a Poldark volume (I have the complete set) before each viewing. The flowers (home grown I assume) are gorgeous- who looks at windows and dust???? FF



    ReplyDelete
  2. The hellebores are home grown but the stocks are 'potted colour'. I haven't yet planted the seeds you sent.
    You must re-read Mockingbird - it is quite cutting about those who do good works, as opposed to good people. It is such a wonderful book. And anyway, you tend the National Trust garden too.
    I am now re-reading Watchman. I assume you're all read up for Poldark tonight.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete