Wednesday 13 June 2018

Breakfast at TDS

I have been quietly fearful of today because it was my first stint at the Breakfast Program at Triabunna District School and I wasn't sure what to expect.  Like most times, there was nothing to fear.  I was rostered on with the School Nurse so thought I'd be in safe hands.  She failed to show but the lovely Cath from Zumba and the Walking Group turned up instead and I knew I was in good hands.  Cath is one of those capable, unflappable people who just gets on with what needs to be done, and she's done Brekky Club many times before.
Schools have been very much on my mind recently.  Having read Vivienne Westwood's book and just finished this book on Margaret Preston, I've realised how important art teachers are.  I'd quite like to be one and am so pleased and proud that this is what Georgia does.  And I know she does it very well.

'Art' was never an option for us 'bright' kids at school.  Now I think it is integral to producing thinking and aware citizens, and has the advantage of appealing to children and adolescents under the guidance of informed and passionate teachers.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh.... a Margaret Preston book I have never heard of. But why do libraries plonk bar codes in unsuitable places. Down a bit and to the left please! Do you think there is a word before 'Recipes' or not? FF

    I always wished (and still do) that I could draw but alas it is a talent long denied me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've returned the book to the library but am pretty sure that there is no hidden word just 'Recipes for Food and Art'. I share your despair at the thoughtlessness of some library staff. They can't be book lovers. When I worked at Wentworth we'd go to great lengths to ensure we didn't vandalise the book...
    Funnily enough I found out about this book by reading old copies of Country Style from the library. I still need a hit every now and then.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete