Wednesday 23 January 2019

Good times and good works

Many, many years ago I came to Triabunna with friends and waterskied for the first (and only) time - across Spring Bay.  So I was very amused to get this Christmas card from Spanish Rose.
This week I got my Christmas and birthday present from her in the mail.  She had been in England, in Kew Gardens, when she saw these books and said they screamed out my name.  I'm so glad they did.  Last  time we were in St Davids together, Rosa and I went on a foraging course.  Obviously she has never forgotten it!  Possibly due to the nettles I encouraged her to eat.
Just my sort of thing, and I shall read them from cover to cover.  Naturally, they are British based but I have many of these plants in my garden.
Curiously, only last week I went through the pockets of my spray jacket (which doesn't get a lot of wear...) and found my notes from the Welsh forage written on a serviette.  It rained quite a bit that day.

In a totally different botanical adventure, my friend Dot is making kokedama and selling them at the market.  They are very beautiful but I can't help thinking of them more as house decorations than living things.  She is very experimental:


Monday was our 18th Wedding Anniversary.  Steve had given me some beautiful fairy lights for Christmas.  They are attached to a cork and you place them inside a bottle.  So we kitted out some bottles I had nobly emptied, and switched them on.  Great fun.  Above you can see some with banana muffins on a stand in the foreground.
They looked quite speccy around the room but the photo doesn't really get it.  They look more like forlorn chess pieces.

Today I went off to do good works.  This time at the ferry terminal to encourage travellers to Maria Island to pledge to not harass the wildlife.  The wombats, geese and wallabies there are used to visitors, but not used to being marshalled and pursued by selfie sticks!

And I have just finished reading this wonderful book.  It is about the fall of the Jewish fortress of Masada to the Romans.  There is even a Welsh connection.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 18 years. I can clearly remember taking the overnight bus to Mildura and you picking me up at the crack of dawn - and then staying in the motel pool most of the time as it was so hot!!!!! (and of course here yesterday we had record temperatures - 45 degrees). Fairy lights gorgeous; gardening books are so 'you'; kokedama intriguing. The year has certainly started on an interesting and adventurous path. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. And not forgetting your canoe paddle along the billabong with Liz. How she would have loved to share these adventures.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete