Sunday 13 January 2019

the carnival is over

The festivities are over and life has returned to its very satisfying routine.  I'm currently reading 3 books:
Dream Days was written before Kenneth Graham had a family of his own, and it is beautiful to slip in and out of when  you feel like being a child again.
I couldn't resist Tales From a Broad.  Some of you may remember my pre-blog missives from Griffith, 'News From a Broad'.  Fran Lebowitz, as you probably know, is a New Yorker.  In this book she chronicles time she and her young family spent living in Singapore in the 1980s.  Her New Yorkiness drives me crazy but her grappling with expat life is amusing, particularly dealing with maids who, Georgia tells me, are now referred to as Helpers.
A Book of Palestine is another jarring book written from the unquestioned superiority of the author but it is fascinating to read about Palestine before the creation of Israel.  I can find no publishing date in the book but this hand written note is telling:
I'm assuming the date is 1915...  I bought all the books (except Grahame's which comes from my Canberra library) at the recent PUBS.  As usual I intended to not buy a thing but 5 hours staffing the stall is a  long time and I sought refuge in the merchandise.  I also whiled away time watching kids and dogs enjoying themselves in the school grounds.
I was there on Thursday and business was not brisk, however over the 2 weeks we made $3450, all of which will be distributed to the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment