Friday 28 June 2019

Happy Woman Blues

My winter solstice holiday has ended.  After an enjoyable time watching other people work,

I returned to yoga and tai chi on Friday, with Spring Bay Suicide Network meeting in the afternoon.  The Network was the beneficiary of the Solstice Swim - over $800 raised!!  It was obviously a grand event and I am even more miffed that I missed it.  Two of our tai chiers, one of whom is 93, beat the swimmers into the water, by which I mean that they hit 44 gallon drums with metal pipes to send out good vibrations to any who may have been hesitant.  The chi moves in many mysterious ways.

On the home front, Steve and his beautiful assistant caught up on their reading.  Note they each have a corporate beanie from Mars Creative Enterprises Inc.

Friday night was the launch of the Festival of Voices at the Bushland Gardens just down the road.  We had a great Welcome to Country in 3 acts,

including an emu dance and a smoking ceremony.  Maybe we're finally getting our act together.

Boil Up, a Hobart band, was the support to Bustamento.  I preferred Boil Up with their androgynous and cultural mix.  To be fair, Bustamento had spent time at the Orford Primary School earlier in the day, and some of the kids came up on stage and sang and danced with them.  Mrs O Henry, Tai Chi Louise and I danced the night away.  It was great to see lots of men up and dancing, some even on their own.  And the joy of seeing young families dancing together!  A great night.

This morning I was a little worse for wear.  But I had cunningly planned a breakfast treat and restorative.  The last of the cumquats I bottled.  I savoured them and then licked out the jar for good measure.

And over the course of the day, I have finished reading The Handmaid's Tale.  I'm not brave enough to watch it on television but I suspect you get the same effect if you read the book and watch the news.  I am in awe of Atwood's brilliance - her awareness, her perception, her way with words.

2 comments:

  1. What a busy, exciting and enjoyable life you are leading!!! Country living at its best I say. And those cumquats. Delicious. I miss our tree which yielded so many for my pots of jam, though I never bottled them - never thought of that. I cannot watch Handmaids Tale. I saw the 1960s (or was that 70s) movie with Natasha Richardson (I think) in it - so disturbing, even back then. I watched the TV first series and a bit of the second but cannot take any more. Instead, we are watching the 3-part history of the Torres Strait islands which is fabulous and of which I never pretty much nothing! New roses are now planted but I fear I have planted them too close. Too late now but I believe my plan for the front garden has been thwarted. It was hard to visualise as they are only sticks. Looking forward to more of your garden updates. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel I have country living at its best. All those years of research with Country Style must have paid off.
    I'm thinking that perhaps the elusive tree we were contemplating for your front garden should be a cumquat - though you may have filled the spot with roses. You probably could move some of the roses if they're still dormant.
    I'm also watching the Torres Strait history with interest. I thought it was rather a male view of history last week but apparently some women are going to make an appearance this week.
    Not much happening in the gaarden at the moment. I should be moving more stones and pulling up more carpet but it's not very often that such work appeals!
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete