Friday 12 July 2019

more family

Indulge me, as I am indulging myself.

Here's Grandma and Grandpa Cox at their house in the Rhondda, 1930

Here they are on a picnic with four of their nine children, 1930

Uncle George, Dad and the lovely Nell, still living in the Rhondda, 1937

By chance I have found a notebook while doing a bit of tidying up, and it has a note I made when in St Davids with Mum in 2010:
The story goes that one year there was nowhere for my parents to stay in St Davids so
Grandpa Cox asked his cousin, Bryn, to help.  Bryn arranged with Phyllis Morgan for Mum and Dad to stay with them at Heol Dewi.  When Mrs Morgan opened the door, my Mum felt forboding at the dark, prim woman who stood before them.  However, they ended up staying with the Morgans many times.  
Shortly after I was born, Mum took me to show Phyllis who by now had a brood of her own.  Phyllis' children gathered round to look at me and wondered how old I was.  'Is she nought?' one asked.
Phyllis is now in a nursing home.  Her daughter, Kate, still lives in St Davids and her son, George, lives at 1 Nodfa Dewi where my grandparents lived.

1 Nodfa Dewi: Grandpa, Grandma and Cousin Stephen's Mum, Mary.
1959

I was delighted to find this photo.  In the London area now at my Aunt Lil's pub, 1969.  I remember going there as a child.  We had to go under the bar to get to their living room at the back.

And here is the man who gave me these photos, Cousin Stephen strolling with my Dad, 1986.

2 comments:

  1. I can see a family memoirs being written!!! What gorgeous photos. And a pub in the family! Loved the garden one, of course. Would they be dahlias??? Your dad was one handsome fella. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon they are dahlias. Now I'll have to get some growing again.
    Dad is especially handsome in his plus 4s - or whatever they are.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete