Tuesday 16 July 2019

the tangled web of domesticity

Saturday dawned cold and windy with snowfalls in the central highlands, so Steve decided he'd drive to Launceston to watch the Hawkes / Freo game.
Wearing his vintage Freo Beanie, he joined the the other Dockers' supporters (both of them) but  to no avail
despite his mysterious friend.

I bunkered down at home and had a delightful day doing hardly anything at all, apart from noticing some domestic details.
brush from Sandrine, seahorse from Bellerive, soap from Pearl

Continuing the peruse of details on wintry Sunday, I noticed the extractor fan in the kitchen.  I guess it's been there since we moved in but I don't use it so I haven't really paid it attention.  When I did, I was mortified.  And when I removed it from the ceiling, I felt ill.  I spent the day cleaning it and realised that what I thought was shadow in the ceiling is actually dirt.  So I am gradually cleaning the ceiling.  I also did the washing.  I needed a bath after my Michaelangelo-esque exertions, and washed my hair.  Then I realised I hadn't brought in the washing so had to go out in the gale with wet hair which was immediately fluffed and straightened.  It was time to phone Mum, which I did.  She wasn't sure what she was going to have for tea so Steve helpfully suggested she order a pizza.  Mum was taken with the idea but had no idea how to do it, so Steve ordered and paid for a Domino's pizza from Gilles Plains.  Steve then got a call from the very diligent pizza delivery man to say he was knocking on Mum's door but getting no response.  I phoned Mum who was diligently listening out while watching the rugby.  I got her to answer the door and we had a 4-way conversation.  And just as we were all saying our goodbyes, Steve and I facing each other, I heard Mum say 'Oh here comes Tamasin with fish and chips'.

No comments:

Post a Comment