Monday 27 April 2020

Klemzig calling

I set off on the 21st March - a little early for Easter which we'd cancelled anyway - because Willowa wanted Mum and me to look after Daphne du Greyhound while she went to New Zealand...  Naturally New Zealand travel was canned, so then she was going to Tasmania hmmm then Victoria... finally Melrose in South Australia where she has been a number of times before.  But some of this was in the future as I drove from Melbourne to Adelaide with my (still) dodgy phone.  I stopped at Great Western because the timing was right for lunch at a little restaurant I had always fancied.  I checked my phone and zut alors! a message from Steve saying that the border was about to be closed, so I hot-footed it until I got into South Australia and stopped at the Landrover on a Pole Park at Keith, where I ate my breakfast jar of yoghurt, walnuts and baked quince.
The days at Mum's passed productively while I sorted and cleaned and organised with the only adventures being the Great Tartare Sauce Robbery (which I rectified with Meals on Wheels the next day) and Mum's frantic yells in the night because Daphne was sleeping on top of her.
a compromise
a dog hard done by

Then came the day I discovered a cuppla boxes of slides in Mum's wardrobe.  I held them up to the light thinking they may have been the slides of Aden I had bought enroute to Australia in 1964 but, even better, they were of 2 school trips in the later 60s and featured the Easterers, including CKB!!!  A cunning plan formed involving a photographer friend of mine who may have a slide projector... and who I was visiting very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment