Thursday 30 April 2020

May Day

Happy May Day!  Lots of dancing around maypoles and bunches of lily of the valley be yours.  I thought I'd take a break in transmission to bring you some gratuitous garden shots.
same old
except for the exuberant cosmos

Below is the part of the garden I was really interested in.  These will become my 'magic squares' of veggie plants.  I hadn't expected to have a green manure of parsley and artichoke seedlings.  While clearing the furthest square yesterday, I discovered self sown radishes and cucumber.  That's the sort of gardening I like!

the succulent garden has thrived in my absence
but still has a long way to go...

a few tomatoes linger
a silverbeet and feta pie is planned

I ate one of the figs upon my return - good flavour but a bit dry

the leeks, onions and garlic are going well

the icebergs are finally coming to a head

the myrtle is in berry - good with venison

a different view of the Flying Pig
I've potted up the eggplant to see if it will continue growing and fruit into winter.  I potted up the very dead looking cumquat before I went away, and it's coming back to life nicely.  The lettuces and trouve radishes and cucumber are absolutely delicious - full flavoured and juicy.  It's crossed my mind to let it all run feral and just forage.

1 comment:

  1. Oh it's good to see your garden again. Everything seems to have thrived! I am jealous that your cumquat has recovered - mine died and I threw it away. The cosmos are spectacular. I should get some. And I love the myrtle berry. Is that a shrub or a creeper? And your silver beet has given me the idea of making a rice and spinach pie I used to bake. It's also good to see the red peril (furled). Also, from the previous blog: love the bike (I can justsee you riding like the wind a la Milly Molly Mandy), the book exchange and all the Easter goodies. FF

    ReplyDelete