Thursday 30 April 2020

Klemzig recalled

All that slide viewing and recollection was thirsty work, plus there were deep discussions to be had and plans to be made.
But the time came to say goodbye to the Floosie after the most wonderful day.  The drive home was peaceful, the city serene, all quite other worldly.
Back in Klemzig life fell into a routine.  Mum and I went for some wheelchair strolls which proved to be social extravaganzas with Mum chatting to neighbours she hadn't spoken to for months.  Gardening was on my mind after time spent with FF but there was little that needed to be done apart from a bit of pruning and mowing the grass.  I tried to do my composting trick of digging a hole in the garden and putting the day's accumulated organics in there, but the ground was too hard and dry to dig.

an inspiring card on Mum's sideboard

Mum enjoyed going to the book cupboard at Lochiel Park and we got some good books - a lifesaver after library services closed.
I loved this book and picked up some gardening ideas from it.

On another occasion I picked up these two - a perfect girly trip to Rome and a romp through 17th C Amsterdam.  Combined with Van Der Valk, I've developed quite a thing for Amsterdam.

I did some walks around Klemzig.  Visited my Sri Lankan short-eats shop but they weren't doing curries so I went to Han's Sushi.  Han's is a Korean takeaway really and was the perfect destination when I felt I needed a red meat hit. Mum and I eat fish-based meals when I cook, but she gets her iron from Meals on Wheels which also delivered her 4 toilet rolls on one occasion.  A great initiative.  MoW is suffering a bit because many of their volunteers are over 70 and now are not allowed to be out and about delivering meals.  The Italian gardens are disappearing from Second Avenue but there are still persimmon trees netted to protect the fruit and wafts of the fragrance of figs.  One day I saw 2 women doing tai chi in a small park.  The reduction in air traffic was also noticeable.
On Good Friday I finally got to ride my bike.  First to the book cupboard
where I returned the above books and picked up
then I rode like the wind along the river tracks - totally exhilarating.
Back home I prepared for quarantine
and Easter.


Helly arrived in the evening bringing home-made hotcross buns.  We watched the Gardening Australia Easter Special and I packed my bags.
I left on schedule at 8am the next morning, stopping at Coonalpyn for my traditional cornish pasty.  Then it was frantically onward, wondering what would happen at the border with Victoria and whether I would have to do 2 weeks' quarantine there.  To my astonishment, it was business as usual entering Victoria, though there were barriers for those wishing to enter South Australia.  I reached the ferry at 4.45pm and drove straight on after a rather embarrassing incident when I couldn't remember how to open my car bonnet. I must have been more stressed that I realised. I'm used to them checking the boot but I've never had to reveal the engine before.    A glance at my boarding pass showed I'd been upgraded from a recliner to a cabin, and a lovely cabin it was too.
There was no chance to mix with other passengers.  We were directed to our cabin and had to stay there - no meals available.  I couldn't eat the 'snack pack' provided because it was very oat-based
but I could look through my window and eat the soggy salad wrap I bought in Stawell.  I finished this book,
an easy and entertaining read about a cruiseship, offering a prize I certainly don't want to win.  I reversed the sleeping arrangement and fell into a heavenly slumber with night sky and dark sea rolling gently past.

No comments:

Post a Comment