Monday 27 July 2020

a different week

A different week last week.  We had Christmas in July.  A friend showed me the flyer and I agreed to attend.  When I made inquiries, I learned that it was invitation only, and aimed at older people living alone and isolated.  I fully accepted that I was not the target audience, but lo and behold (as happens at Christmas) I got a phone call the day before to say that there had been a cancellation and would I like to go?  Of course, whenever in doubt just say yes.  So I did.  It gave me the opportunity to get out my red dress and the rather arresting red earrings FF gave me when last I was in Encounter Bay.
The chairs were all set out in accordance with Covid 19 guidelines, which made them look like 'naughty chairs' set out in the Orford Community Hall.  It was a cute little event with lots of gingerbread and shortbread, so no complaints from me.

Friday was the day of the funeral of my friend's husband.  It was held at the Orford Bowls Club, dear to both of them.  I knew there would me lots attending and wasn't sure of the rules in these 'unprecedented days' so got there a bit late to ensure I could stay outside.  As I drove closer it became apparent that there were hundreds in attendance, so I changed plan and drove to Manning Avenue, from where you can easily reach the cliff tops to gaze out to sea and think.
the ideal view for reflection

the conveniently placed bench

with a dedication which I thought probably expressed my widowed friend's feelings

There were also signs of Spring with native plants in flower.

And then the short stroll back to the road and the car.  The land on both sides of the path is privately owned, and is some of the most beautiful bush I know.  True inspiration for the garden and life.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the earrings!!!! I'm sure they enjoyed the outing. East coast views are truly spectacular aren't they. I must admit that I like memorial seats and always say hello to the person they are dedicated to. And speaking of spring, someone mentioned yesterday that their almond tree is in blossom, and my host of golden daffodils(3)is bringing a spot of cheer to the garden. Oh... forgot to to mention from the previous blog that the photo of Steve the Enforcer in the sock mask absolutely made my day.

    ReplyDelete