Thursday 16 July 2020

Mid Winter

We're halfway through winter and I think I'm in a semi-hibernation.  I usually spend part of the season in Adelaide, and this winter is starting to feel long.  I'm still doing some gardening most days, mostly pulling up weeds from the lawn.  Mallow plants have gone absolutely crazy with the rain.

Steve has presumably bored of drawing his own hands, and drew mine.

I have been reading.  I didn't want to read this book because it is about a mother and child involved in an accident and I thought it may be maudlin.  Definitely not.  I'm glad Her Majesty commanded me to read it.  It has really helped me come to grips with a rapid and unexpected change of circumstances, even after a really long time-span.  It's a lovely book and I think all Mums will enjoy it.

This is one of the books I bought with my $50 Fullers book token.  I didn't go in to buy this book but it has some inspiring photos, and I've learned a lot from reading it cover to cover.
This is the book I went to Fullers to buy, and I'm so glad I did.  It is a beautiful little book - and I have a penchant for little books - and look at the dust cover.  It is about gardening in the UK so not directly relevant to Australia in terms of indigenous species, but the principles are presumably the same.  It is beautifully, knowledgeably and amusingly written.  I'd love to see a Tasmanian equivalent.

From the sublime to the slightly ridiculous.  This book came from PUBS which is operating again under restricted opening.  Judy, the coordinator, phoned to ask me if I was interested.  She looks out for Arthur Upfields for me (and the Floosie).  It's early Upfield from the 1930s, rife with sexism and racism, and the main character is not particularly likeable though he seems to like himself.  But I enjoyed a bit of a romp through the West Australian outback.  It is not a Boney book but you can see the Boney character beginning to take shape.

I forced myself through this library book, not because it's a bad read but because Ashton and I are on the same wave length, and it seemed redundant.  The chapter on living wills has made me pause for thought.

The Barracks has ordered about 6 quarryfuls of sandstone to put up a front fence.  I shall keep you posted.
I'll let  you know if there's any more excitement!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Upfield. Looking forward to that one. And I think it behoves you to write the Tasmanian equivalent of that gardening book. Now that's a project for you!!!!! The Barracks building looks so fresh. Have they asked you to design a garden - rather like that gorgeous one at Port Arthur I would think. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden is being professionally landscaped and should be totally beautiful and appropriate.
    Writing the Tassie edition had occurred to me... but I don't have the skill or knowledge to equal Dave Goulson. My project shall be to think who could write it.
    So lovely to have you back commenting.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete