Saturday 23 July 2016

Go Snowy


Who is this fine chap in his cardi?  Meet Snowy.  Yesterday Snowy, Mel, Jill and I went sled dog sporting - dog powered sport.  Our gang is all novice so we were put in with the Juniors and Pee Wees.  This is the type of contraption Mel and I had to use:
Here's some of the competition for Snowy and Jill:
I took the photo below to show that it was snowing but it just looks bleak.  Lots of omens here.

Our course involved going around this lake, just under a kilometre.  Jill and I were last to start with Mel and Snowy 30 seconds ahead.  Briefly.  Jill thought it would be much more interesting to have a look at the lake so took the high road and I went over the handlebars to astonished cries from the gallery.  Fortunately the Rescue Vehicle didn't run over me and, after getting re-organised, we resumed the race.  Race doesn't seem to mean much to Jill (which in one sense I'm quite proud of).  I desperately scooted through ankle deep mud while Jill took a delightful botanical stroll, often having to raise a trot to catch up with me.
This is how it's supposed to be done.
Notice Bolt's keen start here.  Of course he has a name to live up to and some rather racy running boots.
This Open Class of race takes you over hill and dale.

But even the beautiful Bolt was not assured of victory, beaten by Abbie to the diehards' complete surprise.  And look at this for perfect form.
I think of Angel and weep.  Many of these dogs are rescued huskies / malamutes.

They're so keen to run that each dog needs someone to restrain him / her while they listen to the start countdown.
This is the sort of racing that appeals to me, sort of Boudica-like.
Imagine the thrill of that.  And no scooting.  Genuine dog-powered.  And the winners?
Well obviously ol' blue eyes, Mikey.  Who is not Lexington nor a rescued dog but an adored little pup out for the day with his Mum and Dad and has to be restrained while they are racing.

4 comments:

  1. And what a great day it was! As my fellow novice rider and dog had a Sunday rest Snowy and I were the champions of the beginners despite being overtaken by the juniors when Snow decided halfway round the lake to stop for a poo. I look forward to a ribbon in the post and our photo on Facebook with Snow impressing the crowds with a high 5 :) I'll drop Jill's blankie round soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness gracious - what will you do next??? Where was this? Do they give you the bike/sled for the race or do you need to have one? It looks fun but the weather, oh so bleak. But of course huskies and malamutes would love it. It looks as if you need a lot of physical energy for this. I doubt whether the Floosie would have the stamina. Go Boadacia!!!! (or however it is spelt these days).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These events can only be held when the temperature is l5 degrees or less, for the dogs' health and safety. Usually they are held somewhere near Huonville but the course had been washed out so it was held at Redbanks near Nugent, about an hour from Triabunna. We paid $15 each to enter and borrowed all the gear. Next time I may borrow a dog...
    Perhaps we could come up with a sport incorporating Dragon Boat racing, Dog Sledding and ???. Martini mixing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous- I'll send Cocoa down as I'm sure she'd love it! So impressed you did this!!!

    ReplyDelete