Thursday 14 July 2016

Reading weather

On Wednesday I returned my library books and, though I have plenty to read at home at the moment, books tumbled off the shelves and into my arms.  After a brief walk along the beach which is reforming after disappearing in a huge storm, Jill and I returned home very pleased with the books, the beach and the cosy warm.  I spent yesterday curled up with The Paris Vendetta which races from Sweden to Corsica to London and Paris.  It was the perfect Bastille Day read until I heard the news of the Nice attack.
I thought I'd share with you some of my other recent reading.
I read this book years ago and thought of it when Steve was in hospital after the stroke.  I tried desperately to find it but couldn't find any trace of it back then.  It turned up at the Orford Book Sale a few weeks ago - 50c no less.  It was gratifying to re-read it.  One thing I had totally forgotten from the first read was the pleasure he records from driving a mini moke.  And I remembered all the fun we had in mine.
This was the book I took to read in Adelaide.  It also came from the book sale.
Steve and I have been to the Japanese Gardens in Cowra a couple of times.  Despite this book's lurid cover, its an excellent read and I'm keen to return to Cowra sometime with all this new knowledge.  And then there's this one:
Tamasin and I walked over to Lochiel Park late one afternoon.  There's a community book cupboard there where you take a book and leave a book.  I used to read a lot of Japanese authors in the '70s and was excited to read this one (once I'd recovered from the Forced March my Adorable Niece conducted along the Torrens as night fell).  I discovered that Ishiguro was born in Japan and moved to England when he was 6!!! so not a story about Japan at all.  But a poignant English story and one of the best books I've ever read, amazingly constructed, beautifully written and thought provoking.
And for something completely different and very calming, you may like to look at these photos from Georgia's sister in law and family who have recently moved to Sweden.
 http://chelseaparsons.com.au/alg-time-alegenhus-bjurholm-sweden/


2 comments:

  1. Nice reading.... I didn't force you to work all that way, though, I said you didn't have to.....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I like a little drama...
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete