Friday 21 October 2016

Show time

I was going to dazzle you with photos from the Seafarers Memorial and Blessing of the Fleet service held last Sunday.  It was also Market Day but I had decided to leave Steve to do market duties (selling his cards and calendars).  I have wanted to go to the Blessing of the Fleet ever since we've moved here.  I love that Triabunna is a working fishing port.  But when I got to the wharf at the advertised time I was advised that the service had been moved to the Old Council Chambers because of the cold, blustery weather.  I thought this rather a spineless and landlubberish move.  The Chambers were packed with people (the boats had stoically remained at the wharf) and the service had started when I got there so I missed the preliminaries.  I was intrigued that a friend of mine from the Walking Group was conducting the churchy part of the service.  I was also intrigued when strains of Rod Stewart's Sailing wafted from the sound system.  Fortunately they didn't show the video - hold on to your hat. Alan Blow gave an interesting talk on legal aspects of death at sea and this time we did have visuals when one of the poor sailors from The Derwent training vessel fainted and slithered down the wall still at attention.  All in all it was a good show and I hope to catch it next year in more clement weather.
In the absence of photos from that event, I offer up these.
 Where can we be?
Stalwart Tasmanians and former Tasmanians will know.
 Particularly someone who had a garden rotunda somewhat like this,



Yes,  you've been on a tour of the Botanical Gardens in the rain Monday before last.
And as for Show time, last Thursday was People's Day at the Royal Hobart Show.  Fortunately for those who work on Thursdays it was a public holiday.  Jake came up to help in the garden and we achieved heaps.  I'm sooooo pleased.
Even started on the re-taming of these trees.  Jake suggested a before and after photo.  Here's the start of it.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for the Bot Gards (and rotundas)!!!!
    I actually watched the video. I aways thought Rod was braving the stormy seas but instead he's in a bay with barely a wave to be seen, making a bit of a joke of the line 'stormy seas'. Ah, memory lane.
    Looking forward to the 'after' shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked that Mr Blow was involved in the process. Also liked seeing some Bot-a-nicles as I haven't been for such a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, he's good value. I think he was standing in because The Governor wasn't available. As he was talking I kept thinking of the memorial at the Chapel of Ease on Queen Street to a sailor lost at sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps Are you from Brooooony I Land?

    ReplyDelete