Friday 30 June 2017

Brand New

Brand new day and brand new financial year.  I set off this morning for my brand new job, having turned down the offer of a high ranking position in the Bureau of Re-definition because it's too cold in Canberra.  Admittedly it was another cold and frosty morning here (but not -7C).  The school kids must be looking forward to their swimming lessons on Monday.

I am the Gatehouse Officer, opening and closing the new Gatehouse information centre 7 days a week, a total of 3 1/2 hours per week.  Down the track we'll have a small produce stall there too but we'll let winter pass first.



It is a pleasant 7 minute stroll from our place to the Gatehouse so the Pharaoh Dog will get at least 2 short walks a day.  I left her at home this morning because I wanted to make it easy on myself for the first day.  As I hoped, I saw a different world being up and about when I'm usually lounging in bed.

Our house in the early morning

the sheen on the caravan park fence

the ice on our gate posts

Fortunately I had leftover pancake mixture from last night.
I haven't had pancakes for breakfast since Sarah was here last.


And Jill seemed to have no regrets about missing out on a walk.

3 comments:

  1. I feel so privileged to know that when we visit Tassie we will be staying with the Gatehouse Officer - and possibly helping to perform the opening and closing ceremonies each day!!! We have cold here but luckily no frost. Just lovely sunshine, though that is not going to last, as Monday is predicted to be rainy, cloudy and miserable. How are the hellebores, my favourite winter flowering plant? FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made pikelets today in the exact same bowl as you used for pancakes. there must be a common thread here! By common, I do not mean to imply that the bowls are not fabulous, simply that they bear a striking resemblance !
    Did your creosote create that striking fence colour? It seems to have outstripped the engine oil effect, although I do applaud any recycling, if not any Re-definition. You are indeed a stout defender of the faith!
    -8C tomorrow. Luckily only the golfer will suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear FF, the hellebores are looking suitably shy and delicate - and not quite as numerous as I had hoped. You may indeed help me with my ceremonial duties. I never expected to get the keys to the city.
    Dear Lady Jayne, the bowls may both have been made by my own fair hands when I worked at SABCO - though to be honest, I never worked on that machine. Too busy putting tyres on carpet sweeper wheels. No, the featured fence is not my oily friend though it was originally built and painted the same. There are many shared bonds between our place and the caravan park.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete