Tuesday 20 June 2017

Winter Solstice garden report

Looking at a magazine the other day, I remembered how easy it is to make your garden look interesting if you take close-ups.
a pretend primrose

pepinos which will probably never ripen

snowdrops emerging now the privet hedge has gone

the very last of the cornflowers

the rocket bed finally self-seeding into the garden

raised garden bed for tomatoes, currently growing broccoli and lettuce seedlings, cuppla lupins and beetroot and radish seeds.

other raised garden bed with emerging broadbeans, lettuce and kale seedlings

somewhat rickety raised beds, one featuring newly erected teepee skeleton for peas and beans,

the other for rhubarb yet again transplanted.

the pittosporum which was destined for the chop and cunningly decided to let tomatoes grow up through it.  The tomatoes are self-sown and continue to provide me with vitamin c as I graze the garden.

the path leading back to the house being weeded and the chives clumps split

hellebores emerging subtly beside fence painted 5 times with engine oil

bolder hellebore

artichoke and Steve's brass razoo

jerusalem artichokes from self-sown plant

plants on table in back porch

Steve preparing solstice sausage sizzle

Pharaoh Dog waiting patiently

finally food and an elegant drop (with elegant sauce bottle)

and a new book to read from the library, after Sandrine kindly gave me the first in the series for my birthday.  I have also put a library hold on the book Jackie Morris mentions today - Court of Lions.  All in all a very pleasant short day. Now I think I'll have a look at the Dr Zhivago dvd.

1 comment:

  1. Your path is lovely, with the insets for plants along the way. My back garden is best photographed from a satellite at the moment. I am not sure whether I am going backward of forward in relation to the weeds in the central garden space (once known as the lawn). Elle and I did take a jaunt yesterday and she delights in touching each plant as we pass. That is enough to make me content. I do have one hellebore now, which may yet delight me! XX

    ReplyDelete