Tuesday 14 August 2018

Back by Popular Demand: What I did in the holidays.

Having just finished reading Circe, in which Odysseus features quite prominently, I shall start with Travel Tales.  Quite rightly, this story starts with the Spirit of Tasmania leaving Devonport and the view from my Recliner.

Once again I found my way to the Westgate Bridge the next morning and headed north west.  I stopped in Dimboola for a coffee and decided to drink it at Pink Lake, which not only was suitably pink but was being admired by one very suitably dressed.

I didn't actually do much driving once I got to Adelaide.  On a whim one morning I drove to the Botanical Gardens to check out the edible and medicinal plants' beds.  It was raining and I had the Gardens almost to myself except for in the Diggers shop where the staff were very helpful in my quest for caper seeds.

I also journeyed to Encounter Bay to spend an indulgent day with The Floosie.  Oh, I could go a bowl of that pumpkin soup right now!  We couldn't yoga because it was school holidays (I'm not sure that I see the logic either).  We didn't walk because of the howling tempest.  But we did enjoy ourselves!  The garden is looking settled and thriving - as is The Floosie herself.  And all that wonderful book talk.  Of course, taking a photo never crossed my mind.

My other longish journey was to Ukaria just outside of Mt Barker.  This was a dream come true for me because I had long been curious about the philanthropy of Ulrike Klein, co-founder of Jurlique.  I loved that a skincare company was established in the Adelaide Hills, and then was very intrigued when it was sold and Ulrike built an intimate world class concert hall on the land.
Nothing like a labyrinth to get me excited!
Getting warm...

And there it was.  What  you can see here is mostly the cafe, where you can get glasses of bubbly, cheese platters and other pre-concert essentials.  I was there to listen to a programme of predominantly Karl Jenkins' music.  Fabulous. About a 15 piece orchestra and 45 voices, with beautiful views to the outside while the concert is in progress.  Well worth the drive.

Eating Adventures



Mum and I made our seasonal Sunday pilgrimage to Longview Winery.  The Winter menu was superb, the spiced cauliflower and the polenta chips and the osso bucco divine.
Cheese and dessert were pretty good too.  The staff there are always good and we even have our own parking spot for next time.
Other eat-outs included vego meals at Central Market with Helen, Tamasin and Willowa; spicy seafood at the food court in China Town with Pru; and back to Plant 4 with Pearl for coconut milk and felafel, from all of which I have only this photo taken while Pearly Girl went in search of curry:

Mum and I developed quite a taste for Captain Hook fish and chips, and salads.  We only went to Mercato a cuppla times but had a few takes of sushi.  I'm overjoyed that Mum also discovered a liking for lamb yiros and salt'n'pepper squid from the Greek place, now called Plato's, on Walkerville Terrace.  Possibly overpriced but a delightful experience.

Makes you think.
(to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. Had no idea about Ukaria. Looks lovely. Will do more research.
    And the yoga teacher has to babysit grandchildren in the hols hence classes are cancelled when school holidays are on. Because of this, the classes replicate school terms. Namaste and Ommmmmmm. FF
    Looking forward to next instalment. FF

    ReplyDelete