Saturday 18 August 2018

Tales of Miracles and Wonder

The first miracle occurred while still in Triabunna:  my tweezers, which had been missing for over a year and replaced, suddenly turned up on the bedroom floor.
The second miracle was the re-appearance of my lacy cardigan on Mum's living room floor, having been lost since Easter.  I am fervently hoping the third miracle is the return of my Cruella de Ville jacket, much loved from my scooter days in Griffith, which mysteriously disappeared some time ago.
In other wondrous events, Pearl and I decided to meet at Plant 4 on a Friday night.  I gave myself an hour and a half to get there because I would be travelling into the city traffic at the start of the weekend and I wasn't quite sure how to get there.  I got there in less than 30 minutes, demonstrating how superbly situated is Klemzig.  So I had time for a good look around.  Plant 4 is in the old Clipsal factory building in Bowden.  Bowden is undergoing huge urban renewal which I find very exciting.
So here we have it.  Large apartment buildings which would have amazing views over the city and parklands.
Very trendy with underground parking for bicycles.
Hopefully the charm will remain, if not be enhanced,
as with their groovy book cupboard.  Which brings me to the last post...

Reading Adventures
I took two PUBS books with me so that I could read them and then exchange them at the Lochiel Park book cupboard but, in a stroke of genious, I thought to investigate the Walkerville Library and there discovered a world of gardening books which I devoured over the first 3 weeks.  I particularly liked the one above - much more useful and to the point than the big, beautiful coffee table books.
I finished Josephine Tey's 'Brat Farrer' but it didn't make it to the LP book cupboard because Mum wants to read it.
I also finished this book which was a slog totally in keeping with the story of China's entry into WW2 via then Burma.  It also has not made it to the LP book cupboard because I found it so thought provoking that I may need to go back to it.

This one came from LPBC.  I was thrilled because you may recall that I had discovered 'Perfume From Provence' at our PUBS and never expected to see its sequel.  'The Promise' and 'Trampled Lilies' display such different attitudes to war.  Perhaps there are national characteristics.  This book is also languishing in my Klemzig bedroom if anyone wants to read it.

I also read this one on loan from The Floosie.  Not my favourite Bony story.  For a while I thought I was re-reading Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea', reading which seemed to take up half my adolescence...  The other half actually being fishing with Mum and Dad at Outer Harbour.

And then I found 'Circe' in the LPBC.  I had only just read about it in The Adelaide Review so was somewhat amazed to find it in circulation so soon.  It also seemed a long read but I thoroughly enjoyed a female interpretation of the Greek gods and heroes.
I certainly owe the Lochiel Park book cupboard a few!

THE   END

1 comment:

  1. Love the emus!!!!!! And the bike storage. Wish we'd had that in Fitzroy. Steve had his bike stolen in our undercover garage that was presumably burglar proof. Hmmm. I didn't mind Swordfish Reef because Boney wasn't sliding through the sand on his hessian shoes. Did you get my message that I bought 7 Upfields from a secondhand store in Port Elliot? Obviously someone's collection, as I had to leave another 15 or so. FF

    ReplyDelete