Saturday 28 September 2019

G is for Good luck with that

G was going to be for Garden but the week continued to be as frantic as the previous fortnight and I only got to gardening yesterday.  What solace.  What balm.  I will attempt to share some with you.

the willow in the caravan park has been pruned and it is wonderful to work at our back fence and look up into the tree
The bees are humming furiously.

this is where I was mainly working, putting seaweed on the asparagus patch
Opinion is divided as to whether this will kill or encourage.  We'll see.
On the far left is the elderberry plant which seems very happy in its new position.
On the trellis on the far right is a recently discovered berry plant, most likely a redcurrant.

ripped into the rhubarb, then fed and watered around each plant

the Daphne remains small but surviving
I have yet to notice any scent.

these purple irises are usually the first to flower but this year they have competition from some I've put out the front, behind the stone wall.
My hope is to have a rainbow of irises along that wall as a tribute to Steve's sister Elizabeth who gave me the more exotic ones.

the plan is for the raised gardens to eventually disappear and become gentle undulations with indigenous plants
The brick path is not part of the plan but was suggested to me by Jill PD who always likes to trot over that bit when she fetches the frisbee.  The bricks are to remind me!  Plus I wanted to store them somewhere for now.

not visually stunning but exciting to me - the potted fig coming back to life in the late afternoon sun

 more late afternoon sun

and yet more

G is also for Group Leader.  Corinne has been gone for 5 years now.  At school we went through a stage when she was Group Leader and I was Dumb Kid.  'You're just a dumb kid' she'd say to my philosophising. She also had a thing about my nose, saying it was like a ski jump - but growing.  'Isn't it getting a size!' was a frequent greeting.  What good times we had.

I believe there was also a Grand Final yesterday with the Giants defeated.
Good news, presumably, for our totally impartial school.



No comments:

Post a Comment