Wednesday 28 July 2021

a Sentimental Blog

Sadly you can't Ditter in Adelaide the way we used to in our uni days.  Back then there were a number of their shops in the city and it was a daunting and dazzling experience to peruse the plump, jewel-like dried fruit.  I particularly liked the snow white coconut flakes.  Fortunately there is still Haigh's.  Not as colourful and more difficult to convince yourself you're doing something good for your health, but absolutely delicious chocolates.  Give me a marzipan bar anytime.

The banks of the Torrens have changed radically, but how endearing to see self-sown native plants asserting themselves.

I used to lunch a lot on the lawns beneath the uni.  I don't recall ever being threatened by a pelican.  In fact I don't recall ever seeing one near the uni footbridge.

Adelaide Uni has changed dramatically, though the buildings here seem like old friends.  The paths are new.  I assume the lights are temporary and for the Illumination event.  But maybe not.  I'll have to check this space out next time.

Old space, new event.  Adelaide Winter Wonderland, or some such, in the grounds of the Army Barracks.  Igloos and ice skating. I was tempted by the skating - a lake in Austria is still a dream - but with age comes caution.  How would I cope on my own in Adelaide with a damaged ankle?
It all looked a bit forced and tacky really, though it may be mesmerising at night.  Should you feel inclined,  you can hire a plastic igloo.
The adjacent Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden is far more dignified.  I think it is a lovely space and have attended Writers' Week events there in the past.  The rain made the garden very muddy to access, so I didn't.

And talking of pioneer women and dignity, Carla Zampati at David Jones, in honour of Lady Jayne.  I have to say that I tried a cuppla times to browse the shops but I find the overfilled racks of clothes distasteful now.  The clothes shops look like op shops in their abundant mayhem, and I feel swamped.  Ms Zampati's wares were a notable exception.
Had I splurged at CZ's, I could have joined the parade of red and purple ladies on North Terrace.  Have they also discovered The Guardsman?
I've also decided that DJ's has the best underwear and shoe departments.  Can't quite see myself in these mercurial little numbers.
More my style.  A Jumbuck parked near the Market - note it is a shopping trolley.  Steve so loved his Jumbuck that we called it Jolene.  Sadly he wrote it off in the rain a few years ago and Jill has never been able to be a ute dog.
I found the Central Library just off Rundle Mall and, with an abundance of irony, borrowed 2 books about Tasmania which jumped off a display table and into my arms.  Wild Island is a very clever story entwining real historical figures with fictional ones, ie characters from Jane Eyre and people from the Franklins' time in Tasmania. I am boggled at the research and imagination required.  I think the author says it took her 40 years to write.  Jane Franklin and Elizabeth Gould are key characters, shining through their shadowy place in history.
This one was written in approx 2004, after Peter Timms and Robert Dessaix had moved to Hobart to live.  It is a small book (which I love), beautifully written.  It's always interesting to read someone's views of somewhere you know.  I wonder if they still live here.
Never let a chance go by...  A table for one and a book at The Pancake Kitchen.  After spending time with Pearl, I couldn't resist the night time call of a 'stack' with maple syrup and whipt butter  - Adelaide in the 70s.  So many uni students worked at the Pancake Kitchen back then, and I've eaten a fair few stacks in my time.  Of course, they are nowhere near as delicious these days...  Perhaps I should have had the banana split - the guy at the next table seemed to be having a 'When Harry met Sally' moment with his.
And so, the last night in my city pad.

2 comments:

  1. That was a lovely trip down memory lane and through Adelaide. Steve (mine) would love the Pancake Kitchen. Not so sure about the igloos and iceskating but definitely a quirky winter touch for a generally hot summer city (weatherwise). That gorgeously slim outfit at David Jones continues your love affair with red dresses! Interesting books too. Have I been to the Central Library????? FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect you have not been to the Central Library - I just happened to notice it down an alleyway. So glad I did.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete