Sunday 18 July 2021

To Adelaide: setting the scene

Just getting to the airport was an adventure this trip.  Because the road to Hobart, and thus the airport, was closed because of 'Rock Down', I had to catch the 8am (and only) bus to Hobart which traveled north to Swansea, across to Campbell Town, then south down the Midland Highway to Hobart - a nearly 4 hour ride.  It was, of course a pleasure.  Being a passenger on the Great East Coast Drive is the best way to enjoy the scenery and sea views.  I've driven across from Swansea to Campbell Town many times en route to Devonport to catch the ferry to Melbourne, but I've always wanted to just be able to look out the window and study the vegetation, and this time I could.  The section of the Midland Highway from Campbell Town to Hobart has been unknown to me for many years.  It's changed so much.  When did all the cherry farms appear?  A pit stop at Ross made me want to spend a bit of time exploring there in the future, and I got some garden inspiration.

My flight to Adelaide wasn't until 8.30pm so I had quite a bit of time to kill.  The library was the ideal place:  I could hire a locker for my bag, read magazines and go out for some lunch.  A choir came in to sing in the afternoon - if you look along the second from top shelf, you can just see them.

I got to the hotel in Adelaide just after 11pm and, after a few hassles re payment, found myself in the room above around midnight.  The photo was taken the next morning...  Not only was the window frosted it was nailed closed.  I asked if the window could be open and was told the hotel's windows had to be sealed to comply with noise regulations.  I said I couldn't stay in a place where I couldn't see the sky, so they let me look at another room. 

Heaven.  Just what I wanted.  It would have been perfect if the windows could be opened.  But I lived happily here for a fortnight, fulfilling my dream of being a City Gal.

view of hotel from Hindley Street

view from Gilbert Place, taken by former City Gal, now Fleurieu Floosie, some days later

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love that trip. It's through the Fingal Valley to Campbell Town isn't it? The exterior of the hotel looks fabulous. I can't believe I never looked up! And your room does look spacious and light-filled. The first one looked like a cell block - just minus bars on the window. Good luck with garden quagmire! We are now in a lockdown of sorts -meaning no yoga today, the first of the term. Sigh. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, its the Lake Leake Road. When driving, it seems endless to me, and vaguely menacing. A number of people have told me they feel the same. Jolly on the bus but!
    Yes, I left Adelaide just in time and fortunately did not go north-east this trip. Shame about yoga.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete