Friday 23 July 2021

City Gal's gotta eat

As most of you know, I go to Adelaide to visit Mum, now in a nursing home.  Photos are not allowed in the home for privacy reasons.  I'm sure I could take a photo of Mum in her room but don't know that she would want me to.  When I show her photos of our trip to Wales in 2010, she's displeased with how old she looks as she strides across cliff tops.  A photo of her sitting in the chair in her room, which is how she spends most days, would not please her.  She seems content in the home, and I think she is well looked after.  She sometimes forgets where she is and asks me to 'go down to the bedroom' to get something, or asks me to get something from the kitchen, but this is a fleeting confusion.  She does have difficulty remembering things from day to day.  She looks forward to me coming over from Tasmania but largely forgets what occurs when I'm at the nursing home.  She is pleased when I go out with friends.  She is interested in them all and enjoys hearing of where we've been and, particularly, what we have eaten.  We share an enthusiasm for food and it is our main topic of conversation.

I decided that I would try for a programme of 2 days visiting Mum, then a day with friends or exploring the city.  Naturally, I did not always stick to the plan.  Thus it was that I saw Mum at Christies on Wednesday, finally pausing en route to check out this intriguing sculpture,

and meeting Pru for lunch on Thursday.
I had already been to the Central Market a number of times in search of provisions, but Pru and I always meet at the Market so we did again.  Pru loves the market and believes it is one of the best things about  Adelaide.  It seems to be changing from a produce market to yet another collection of eateries and she is concerned.  My concern is wider.  There are so many places to eat and stay, which must employ many low paid and casual staff.  Who eats and stays in all these places?  Presumably those getting richer from wage-slaves (jobs! jobs! jobs!), and rich pensioners like me.
market mecca for turkish delight and halva
breads and cheese on Bastille Day

Pru, her grand daughter and I slipped across from the market and ate in what I consider to be the new food court in China Town.  I was too absorbed in eating to take any photos.  We returned to the market proper for coffee.  I watched in wonder as Grand Daughter ate 3 macarons in a row.  I have never been able to bring myself to eat one.  They look so artificial.  But then I'm not 14 any more.

My next culinary adventure was with Pearl.  I met her at the tram stop in Victoria Square and we moseyed along to a certain previously mentioned favourite restaurant of mine, checking out my city abode on the way.

This time we were seated at the back of the Guardsman - a new experience.
Tempted as I was to have the Coorong mullet, I thought I'd try out the mushroom miso bowl - just as stunning as the mullet.  And so healthy.  Definitely something I will be trying out at home.
As we took a postprandial wander along North Terrace, the Pearl remembered she had one more church to find for Adventure lab.  Remember she was into geocaching? Well, she's moved on to the next challenge.
 
We found the oldest church in Adelaide, studiously read the information and then had to translate the foundation date into roman numerals.  I knew there was a reason for studying Latin at school.  Sadly I'd forgotten D = 500, which made 1838 a very long, and wrong, number.  But we got there.
We meandered back streets to return to Victoria Square and explored Light Square which I hadn't walked through before. Perfect day for reflections.
My final social gastronomic event was with Tamasin and Nima at the Afghani restaurant we visited last time.  I had lamb curry this time instead of the whole leg of lamb I inadvertently ordered last visit.  We shared a range of delicious goodies and then revisited the ice-cream / fruit juice place that makes the falooda drinks.  How I love this wicked drink!  I find it so mysterious and unknowable.  It's like being at a fun fair.

1 comment:

  1. That sculpture looked lovely but I was intrigued that it was by someone from Germany.It looks Aboriginal in design. The market looks enticing as always though it was a cruel blow to mention my absolute favourite sweet - Turkish delight - which had me salivating. And I see that the Guardsman has become a fixture on your calendar for catching up with friends. Sigh. You'll have gone through their entire menu soon. FF

    ReplyDelete