Tuesday 19 April 2016

Jill and Steve 1

Southern Belle has very conveniently become Fleurieu Floosie and thus it was that on 1 April I motored to Encounter Bay for a couple of days R&R, Easter being 3 days in the distant past.  The date started to seem significant as I drove my new favourite way and arrived nearly an hour after my ETA despite being dead keen to show off my new tootsies.

But the Floosie knows my foibles so all was forgiven and a delicious salad lunch with homemade zucchini fritters awaited.  Fuelled up, we took to The Bluff.  It may well be nearly 50 years since last I was there.


 FF was disappointed in the weather but I loved it - very Welsh Wales.

This apparently superfluous shot was to capture a hovering raptor which you may be able to see if you have eyes like a hawk...  That night we dined tapas style on the waterfront at Victor Harbor, a warm up for the following day.
Steve suggested a tour of the Langhorne Creek wineries between Strathalbyn and Wellington.  Well I was up for that.  We visited cellar doors old and new.  The differences in style and presentation is really invigorating.  I was particularly taken with this one (whose name totally eludes me at the moment)
which had old barrels made of redgum - a rather remarkable feat of cooperage.

It also had this sign which I found hilarious.  Of course wineries are more fun for some
than others
.

We resisted the trendy vineyard restaurants (which were fully booked anyway) and had a quick snack at the pub

then it was on to more wineries
with a distinct after vintage, autumnal feel and home again, stopping only for lemons for a sundowner G&T and icecreams at a lovely fruit and vegie shop in Strathalbyn.  Steve highly recommends the chocolate.  I thought the sour cherry frozen yoghurt was one of the best things I've ever tasted.  A totes satisfactory day.
Sunday was my day of departure.  But first a walk around the wetlands in good company.
And then, goodbye for now.

And, for this post only, you can live it all again here courtesy of the Floosie herself (and fill in some of my memory blanks).

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to relive our few days in autumnal splendour. I did love the pub lunch, though the knife impaling the onion rings to my burger now looks downright sinister. And your nails do look amazing and far outshone my vampish red. Fleurieu Floosie XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we can do it all again! How lucky we are.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete