Tuesday 1 November 2016

oh you pretty things

When we first moved back to Tasmania, Liz, Steve's sister, gave me some plants which she said I had to have because they are so pretty.  They struggled on looking pretty ordinary to me for a couple of years.  Then they developed a pink shoot which I thought was a great improvement.
Two days ago they developed these bits

so, as usual, Liz was right.  They are indeed very pretty things.
She also gave me some irises from her garden.  She wanted me to develop an iris garden in memory of her.  I had to plant the irises quickly and had to put some in a too shady position because I didn't have suitable ground prepared.  A couple, however, made it into this shallow pebble garden and they've just come into bloom.


I feel the garden is still in the nursery stage but I'm starting to understand what I can and can't do.

3 comments:

  1. are they birds of paridise? Look like pink versions of what we have here. I love that Liz is represented in your irises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are they birds of paridise? Look like pink versions of what we have here. I love that Liz is represented in your irises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're not the birds of paradise we have in Australia - Strelitzia something or another. These are only about 30cm high - Strelitzias grow over a metre tall. I'm sure they'll still be here, though possibly not in flower, next time you are here.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete