Monday 15 May 2017

The Silo Trail

After a bracing walk around Warracknabeal, taking in the lovely houses and gardens including Sandrine's Community Garden, we breakfasted at The Nurses' Residence and set off on The Silo Trail.  There had been wide consultation at the party the night before, including with people wearing white sheets over their heads for fear of recognition, about the best way to get to Sheep Hills.  We finally found the turnoff and crossed kilometres of wheat fields to arrive at Sheep Hills where the Firies were doing a big clean-up.  I tried to capture their dedicated activity in the photo above but really only captured why I couldn't live there.
The silos, however, are amazing and a big tourist attraction with campervan after campervan turning up to take photos.  Next on to Rupanyup where I didn't like the silos so didn't take a photo though they were beautifully painted.  They looked too much like school sports' captains to me. We were rather taken with this mosaicked former shop.

There is also a beguiling homewares type shop on the lawned median strip running through town where you can  have coffee.  It is a quirky little town.
From there we drove the long way round to Horsham to buy a cooked chook for lunch the next day.  En route we stopped at a great cafe in Natimuk

which also attracts a quirky crowd and nutters who climb Mount Arapiles.  Believe it or not I've only just realised the mosaic connection between Natimuk and Rupanyup.  And trust Sandrine Shiffer to get in the photo too.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... see what you mean about the silos. But I like the quirky mosaics in Natimuk. In the first mosaic man I thought it was an antenna coming out from his head and I really liked it, then I had a closer look and now I think it's just a street light. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. It may be an antenna. I thought he was supposed to be Elvis but I don't know what the nose is all about. Another of life's many mysteries.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure. It may be an antenna. I thought he was supposed to be Elvis but I don't know what the nose is all about. Another of life's many mysteries.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete