Monday 22 May 2017

Wentworth Revisited

No point going to Mildura if you're not going to Wentworth. So off we went on the Thursday.  It was lovely to walk along these streets again.  Curly Tree is the name of the shop that now operates in what was our heavenly River Bank.
How lovely to go through that portico again.
Inside it's a bit different from our minimalist New York Room.  I was, however, seduced by a watermelon lamp
seen here on the fridge in our Triabunna home.  It's hardly a thing you need but I loved it and watermelon always makes me think of beaches and holidays - driving South Road to Normanville or Port Noarlunga and buying cold watermelon from a roadside stall back in the 70s.
There are still traces of us in Wentworth.
Steve's blackbird continues to sit on the deck overlooking the Darling as does the gazebo that Mum gave us one Christmas.  My grapevine continues to do well.
And curiously some of Steve's works are still in a shop window.
We lunched at ArtBack after a very warm welcome.  We had arrived on the chef's 40th birthday - the chef being John, our former next door neighbour. At John's suggestion I had the amazing dreamily light gnocchi with sausage

and Sandrine had some goody goody salad thing.  It couldn't have been a better day.




2 comments:

  1. My goodness. What a walk down memory lane. Great to see River Bank in another, though admittedly different, guise. I'm not sure I like 'going back' to places I've lived when they've been taken over by others. But it looks well cared for. The deck looks great. FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was you, via Kate and The Book of Days, who first alerted me to the fact that I was born on The Day of Returns, so I accept my fate. River Bank's new owners seem to love her as much as we did. May it continue.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete