Thursday 23 January 2020

The Big Time

Yesterday, big excitement in Orford.  The stage was set, and the piano shone golden.
The man himself arrived and Cheryl, Kath and I, who happened to be passing as he alighted from his car, each got hugs and kisses.
TBH I'd never heard of the man and jazz piano is not my thing but I like to support whatever comes to town, and Steve was genuinely enthusiastic.  Unfortunately, Steve was in too much back pain to attend so I went solo and sat next to Liz (obviously not sister Elizabeth) whose husband also was too ill to attend.  To my astonishment the hall was packed.  Kirk only played for an hour (which was enough from my perspective) but the audience seemed thrilled.  He is a very likeable man but, to me, his music is about impeccable technique and self-indulgence as the player takes the music to wherever he feels like.  It was a bit like Spics and Specks where you have to identify the number being played on only the sketchiest clues.  I need a bit more hum along melody.  Pleb.

'What!', I hear you exclaim, 'Bruce Springstein was there too?'  No no no no no, this is Steve getting dried fruit and nuts for his tea,  I, however, had some of the spanokopita I had made, with home grown tomatoes and a bubbly.  Note Gold Bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment