Thursday 11 March 2021

someone has to do it

Tuesday is zumba.  We work hard, and then, just sometimes, we celebrate hard.  I'm not sure what we were celebrating on Tuesday but we did it well.

But where are the Zumbettes? I hear you ask.

At the bar, of course, waiting for Beth to fix the bubblies.  I always try to eat just the savoury stuff.  Those 'fingers' in the top picture look like an iced slice but they are a salmon, polenta and parmesan creation that go perfectly with bubbles.  Robyn, in the foreground above, made a pear and ginger cake which I had to try.  Unfortunately, it was delicious. And, as you can imagine, there was a lot of leftover food.  So I went home with biscuits, blueberry muffins and the remnant salmon / polenta / parmesan fingers.  I got home to find that Steve had made banana muffins.  I had a somewhat restless night, possibly due to a sugar overload.
However the next day I had to get myself on the 10am bus to Hobart for another culinary adventure.  Jen and I were travelling in together to meet up with a group of Ladies Who Lunch.  I had not been invited before so BIG ADVENTURE.  It felt very NY being frocked up and catching public transport to The City.
And this is where we went.  A rooftop restaurant at the top of a hotel on the top of the Myer building.  Totally thrilling to we provincials.
It felt like being on holiday in a strange city.  I seldom travel to Hobart and had not realised how much it had changed in the 20 years we were away.
It was a magical experience for a girl who loves seeing rooftops.
The group of Lady Lunchers was much into fashion and style, fizzy and a lot of fun.  More bubbles, of course. Jen and I chose a Willow & Stone based on the name only.  I have since discovered this is a British wine. The food consisted of share platters.  We left the choice to the chef and enjoyed small serves of chicken pate adorned with blackberries and sitting on a bed of chia seeds; a seasonal risotto; charcuterie; tomatoes and bocconcini; and other stuff I can't remember.  It was very good and I was astonished when the food bill came to $31.00 each.  I had been thinking $60-70.

The tables turned on Thursday when I reported for duty at the school and helped prepare food for the school canteen.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY. First the zumba gals and then the Hobart trip. You are mixing with high society these days. What an outing (compared to our recent foray - see current blog). A rooftop meal. How decadent. I see you have yet another lunchtime companion now. Sigh. But I loved the photos. FF

    ReplyDelete